These easy oven-roasted vegan Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes are seasoned and then baked with flavorful bits of onion and bell pepper. Our favorite breakfast potatoes! (Gluten-free with an oil-free option.)
This is my favorite oven-roasted breakfast potatoes recipe. It is so warm, hearty, and satisfying.
The trick is cutting the onion and bell pepper smaller than the potatoes because that turns them into tender little flavor bites as they roast.
It is an awesome side dish for big breakfasts, brunches, or meal prep because it is crowd pleasing and easy to make.
Plus you can just toss it in the oven to roast basically hassle-free.
Ingredients for Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
For this recipe you will need a baking sheet (or pan) and these ingredients:
- Potatoes: I either use red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for their buttery taste. But russet potatoes work too!
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper: Or substitute orange, yellow, or red bell pepper.
- Smoked paprika: Or other spices and seasonings of choice. Change it up with garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, Italian seasonings, etc.
- Olive oil: This is optional - see notes below for oil-free version.
Holiday enjoyment: If you are making this recipe around the winter holidays, try a colorful combo of red and green bell peppers to make it even more fun and festive!
Oil-free baking: To roast these oil-free, simply line your baking sheet with parchment paper (or Silpat). Then spread out and place potatoes in a single layer.
These are delicious served alongside a Tofu Scramble. It is one of my favorite breakfast combinations and super satisfying and hearty.
You can also use them in breakfast burritos or however you see fit.
Top them with salsa or hot sauce for more flavor!
Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs. potatoes (I like red or Yukon gold)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (*optional)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or other herbs/seasonings)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Rinse potatoes, then pat dry with a towel. (This helps for crispier potatoes.)
- Dice potatoes into about 3/4″ cubes. Dice onion and bell pepper into smaller pieces, about 1/2″.
- Place them all on large rimmed baking pan and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil (*optional).
- Add salt and smoked paprika or other desired herbs. (I also like garlic powder and dried basil.) Toss to thoroughly combine.
- Roast for about 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are desired tenderness, stirring halfway through.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan roasted homestyle breakfast potatoes, also check out: