These easy oven-roasted vegan Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes are seasoned and then baked with flavorful bits of onion and bell pepper. Our favorite breakfast potatoes! (Gluten-free with an oil-free option.)
This is my favorite oven-roasted breakfast potatoes recipe. It is so warm, hearty, and satisfying.
The trick is cutting the onion and bell pepper smaller than the potatoes because that turns them into tender little flavor bites as they roast.
It is an awesome side dish for big breakfasts, brunches, or meal prep because it is crowd pleasing and easy to make.
Plus you can just toss it in the oven to roast basically hassle-free.
Ingredients for Homestyle Potatoes
For this recipe you will need a baking sheet (or pan) and these ingredients:
- Potatoes: I either use red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for their buttery taste. But russet potatoes, new potatoes, or waxy potatoes work too. You could even add some sweet potatoes to the mixture!
- Yellow onion: Or white onion or red onion.
- Green bell pepper: Or substitute orange, yellow, or red bell pepper.
- Smoked paprika: This has such a nice warm and smoky flavor, but you can include other spices and seasonings of choice. Change it up with garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, Italian seasonings, etc.
- Olive oil: Use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil or your own favorite vegetable oil. (See notes below for oil-free version.)
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. You can also add black pepper to taste if desired.
Holiday enjoyment: If you are making this recipe around the winter holidays, try a colorful combo of red and green bell peppers to make it even more fun and festive!
Oil-free baking: To roast these oil-free, simply line your baking sheet with parchment paper (or Silpat). Then spread out and place potatoes in a single layer.
With tofu scramble: These home fries are delicious served alongside a protein-rich Tofu Scramble. It is one of my favorite breakfast combinations and super satisfying and hearty. Pair it with vegan bacon or sourdough toast if desired.
Other ways to enjoy: You can also use them in breakfast burritos, with vegan eggs, a breakfast skillet, or however else you see fit.
Add sauce: Top them with salsa, ketchup, or hot sauce for more flavor!
Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs. potatoes (I like red or Yukon gold)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (*optional)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or other herbs/seasonings)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Rinse potatoes, then pat dry with a towel. (This helps for crispier potatoes.)
- Dice potatoes into about 3/4″ cubes. Dice onion and bell pepper into smaller pieces, about 1/2″.
- Place them all on large rimmed baking pan and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil (*optional).
- Add salt and smoked paprika or other desired herbs. (I also like garlic powder and dried basil.) Toss to thoroughly combine.
- Roast for about 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are desired tenderness, stirring halfway through.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan roasted homestyle breakfast potatoes recipe, also check out: