This Strawberry Spinach Salad is paired with the most amazing tomato-balsamic dressing. Fresh, full of flavor, and also easy to prepare. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
We adore this bright & fresh strawberry spinach salad. My mother-in-law made a similar one from a recipe in her "Marshall Field's Cookbook" years ago and I immediately fell in love. It has been a recurring salad in our kitchen since.
The original dressing recipe calls for a bit of oil, but we omit it here for a lighter, oil-free version.
Ingredients for the Balsamic Salad Dressing
To make the dressing, you will need a blender and these ingredients:
- Roma tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Water to thin (or use olive oil for a smoother consistency)
The sweet strawberries and tender spinach pair amazingly with the tangy balsamic dressing. Plus the dressing keeps for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
I think it tastes even better the next day after the flavors mingle, so it's something you can make ahead of time and use throughout the week.
For more inspiration, also browse all salad recipes.
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Tomato-Balsamic Dressing
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach (or a spinach/baby greens mix)
- 8 oz. strawberries
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced (or green onion for milder flavor)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds + sunflower seeds (optional)
For the Tomato-Balsamic Dressing:
- 2 medium roma tomatoes
- 1 medium shallot (1/3 cup chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (or up to 1/2 cup)
- 1-2 tsp. dijon mustard (I like 2)
- 2 Tbsp. water (or olive oil*)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Make the dressing: roughly chop tomato. Dice shallot, and mince garlic. Place in a blender with all remaining dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth.* Taste and adjust flavors if needed. (More balsamic, salt, etc.)
- In a large bowl, toss spinach/salad greens with about 1/2 cup dressing (more or less to taste). This gives it a nice coating.
- Slice strawberries and thinly slice red onion.
- Place dressed greens on a plate and top with strawberries, red onion, seeds, and another drizzle of dressing if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this strawberry spinach balsamic salad, also feel free to check out: