A hearty, vegan, "meaty" pasta... without the meat! This 30 minute Tempeh Mushroom Pasta is an easy, satisfying weeknight meal with lots of plant protein.
This is a hearty, vegan "meaty" pasta... without the meat! It's similar to a tempeh bolognese sauce.
Tempeh (which is made from fermented soybeans) is a great healthy substitute for ground turkey and beef. It's filled with protein and fiber, and a variety of other nutrients.
The crumbled tempeh and mushrooms gives this sauce such a hearty texture and leaves us feeling pleasantly satisfied.
Plus it's so easy to simmer up on a skillet for an easy weeknight meal filled with plant-based protein.
Ingredients for Tempeh Pasta
For this recipe you will need:
- Pasta of choice: I enjoy gluten-free fusilli made with brown rice & quinoa. But you could use spaghetti, penne, or other noodles of choice.
- Tempeh: This typically comes in an 8 oz. patty. Some are multi-grain and include wheat products, so if you need gluten-free be sure to check the ingredients and find one that is 100% soy-based.
- Mushrooms: I like cremini, but use your own favorite, or a combination.
- Jarred pasta sauce: This meal comes together quick and easy thanks to jarred pasta sauce, but feel free to use your own homemade sauce if desired. (Such as this oil-free marinara sauce.) Jarred pasta sauce typically contains olive oil, so be sure to find an oil-free one if desired.
Veggies: Zucchini, yellow onion, bell pepper, fresh diced tomatoes, grated carrot, and spinach are great flavors to include as well.
Herbs + spices: Or stir in other spices to taste such as a teaspoon of dried oregano, Italian seasonings, etc.
Garnish: Top your bowl with fresh herbs such as a tablespoon of fresh basil or parsley before serving for added flavor.
Store the pasta and sauce in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Tempeh Mushroom Pasta
- 12 oz. pasta of choice (gluten-free if desired)
- 8 oz. tempeh*
- 10 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 26 oz. jarred pasta sauce
- Onion, garlic, spinach, bell pepper, zucchini, or fresh herbs for serving
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, crumble tempeh and slice mushrooms.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté tempeh and mushrooms about 8 minutes or until mushrooms soften. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour in pasta sauce and 1 cup pasta water.
- Stir occasionally until sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach during last couple minutes (if using).
- Spoon sauce mixture over cooked pasta. Serve warm and garnish with fresh basil or parsley if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this easy vegan tempeh mushroom pasta, also check out: