This vegan Creamy Vegetable Pasta is tossed in a light, alfredo-style white sauce. It's a healthy, comforting, 30-minute meal that's easy to customize with your own favorite veggies! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free.)
This cozy Creamy Vegetable Pasta recipe is so simple but elegant! It's warm, comforting, and only takes 30 minutes to assemble.
Tender pasta & fresh veggies are tossed in a light, alfredo-style white sauce. It tastes rich and savory, but is actually made with healthy ingredients... and no butter, olive oil, or heavy cream!
Plus it's easy to customize with your own favorite vegetables or whatever is in season. Play around as you see fit!
Ingredients for Creamy Vegetable Pasta
For this recipe you'll stir together in a large pan on the stovetop:
- Pasta: Be sure to use gluten-free pasta if needed. I use penne pasta, but you could try other shapes like fusilli/rotini pasta, spaghetti, fettuccine, etc.
- Fresh broccoli florets: You'll need one medium head broccoli, or about three cups florets.
- Mushrooms: Most often I use cremini, but use own favorite. Or try a combination of varieties like shiitake mushrooms, Portobello, white button, etc.
- Roma tomato: Or you can substitute with beefsteak or other garden tomato.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Dairy-free milk: I use homemade cashew milk, but any variety should work such as soy milk, almond milk, or oat milk. Just be sure your milk is plain and unsweetened.
- Nutritional yeast: This gives the sauce a savory, slightly cheesy flavor.
- All-purpose flour: Use gluten-free if needed. I use Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Dijon mustard
- White miso: This adds salty, umami taste. I highly recommend including it, but if you don't have any, then be sure to salt to taste.
- Lemon juice
- Onion powder & garlic powder
Vegetables: Add other veggies such as spinach, kale, bell pepper, peas, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, onion, green onion, etc.
Fresh herbs: Stir in fresh parsley, fresh basil, oregano, or dill.
Extra richness: Add a tablespoon of vegan butter to the pan for richness if desired.
Topping: Sprinkle your bowl with Vegan Parmesan Cheese, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, chives, fresh herbs, or salt & black pepper to taste.
Pairing: Serve this dish with a side salad, whole grain bread, Crispy Baked Tofu, or your favorite vegan sausage if desired.
For more inspiration, also browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Creamy Vegetable Pasta (Vegan!)
- 8 oz. pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 6 oz. mushrooms
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
For the creamy white sauce:
- 2 cups dairy-free milk* (plain, unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. white miso
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
For serving (optional but recommended):
- Fresh herbs (basil, parsley, chives, dill, etc.)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy). Drain when finished.
- Prepare vegetables: Clean and slice mushrooms, cut broccoli into small florets, and chop tomatoes. Mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.) Add broccoli florets and sauté for 6-7 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add broccoli florets and sauté for 6-7 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a blender, add all sauce ingredients and blend to combine.
- Add minced garlic and tomatoes to the pan. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then reduce heat and add sauce. Lightly simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until sauce thickens. Turn off heat.
- Add pasta (cooked and drained) and toss to combine. Salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with vegan parmesan and fresh herbs of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Creamy Garlic Vegetable Pasta recipe, also check out: