Lemon Garlic Orzo with Asparagus
EASY 6-ingredient Lemon Garlic Orzo with Asparagus! A lovely spring side dish with a pop of fresh flavors and it only takes 20 minutes to prepare.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Total Time20 minutes
Servings: 6 side servings
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 1 large lemon (& optional zest)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (I like 2)
- 1-2 green onions
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley (more to taste)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh basil, baby spinach, spring peas, cherry tomatoes, shallot, pine nuts, dairy-free parmesan for topping, etc.
Cook orzo: in a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. (You can opt for vegetable broth to add more flavor.) Add orzo, stir well, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: mince garlic and juice 1 large lemon, yielding about 1/4 cup lemon juice. (Zest a bit of lemon peel first if desired – I use this microplane grater/zester
Place lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl, and set aside.
Prepare asparagus: trim off woody ends, rinse, and cook as desired until just tender.* (See notes below for cooking options.)
When cooked, cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
Roughly chop parsley, stems removed. Slice green onions.
In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and pour lemon-garlic dressing on top. Toss to combine and salt/pepper to taste if desired.
*Two methods of steaming asparagus:
1. If you have a steamer basket, steam for about 3-7 minutes, depending on how thick the stalks are.
2. Place 1 cup water in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add asparagus, cover, and steam for 3-7 minutes or until stalks are just tender (taking care not to overcook!)
You could also grill, roast, or broil, etc. the asparagus – any will work for this recipe!
Gluten-free option: use GF orzo, or substitute your favorite gluten-free pasta instead of the orzo.
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1215IU | Vitamin C: 24.2mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2.5mg