Healthy Texas Caviar
Grab some chips and dive in! This easy, colorful Texas Cowboy Caviar is great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, and parties (or snacking at home!)
Prep Time20 minutes
Total Time20 minutes
Servings: 10 side servings
- Two 15 oz. cans black eyed peas
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup organic corn (I thaw frozen corn)
- 1 bell pepper (I use 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional additions: jalapeno, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, avocado, etc.
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Make the dressing: in small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
Rinse and drain beans. Dice bell pepper and finely dice onion.
In a large bowl, add beans, bell pepper, onion, and corn. Add dressing and toss well to combine.
Can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. (It tastes best after flavors blend).
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Potassium: 438mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8.6% | Vitamin C: 21.9% | Calcium: 4.2% | Iron: 17.9%