Summer Chopped Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing
Garden-fresh summer salad tossed in a creamy herb dressing! Plus easy to customize with your own favorite veggies or whatever is in season.
Servings4 medium bowls
- 1 large head romaine (or other mixed greens of choice)
- 1 cucumber (I use English/hothouse)
- 1 orange bell pepper (or carrot)
- 6 oz. grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup red onion (or green onion for milder flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet corn
- Optional additions: garbanzo beans, sugar snap peas, sprouts, purple cabbage, sunflower seeds, etc.
For the Creamy Garden Herb Dressing:
- 1 small avocado (or 1/2 large)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (thick stems removed)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. water to thin (more as needed to desired consistency)
MAKE THE DRESSING:
Puree all dressing ingredients in a small food processor or blender until smooth (scraping down sides with spatula as needed.)
Add more water if needed, a little at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (More salt, lemon juice, sweetener, etc.)
PREPARE THE SALAD:
Roughly chop romaine and place in a large bowl.
Dice cucumber and bell pepper. Halve/quarter tomatoes. Finely dice red onion. Add to bowl.
Add corn to bowl. Then pour desired amount of dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Alternatively, you can store salad and dressing in separate containers in the fridge until ready to serve.)
Can also serve about 6 as a small side dish.
This salad is highly versatile, so try it with your own favorite veggie combinations. (We also love adding garbanzos and clover sprouts.)
Use grilled or fire-roasted corn for added flavor as well.
Calories: 179 kcal | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Protein: 5 g | Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Potassium: 715 mg | Fiber: 7 g | Sugar: 8 g | Vitamin A: 2701 IU | Vitamin C: 69 mg | Calcium: 37 mg | Iron: 1 mg