Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
A warmly spiced red lentil soup that is great for chilly days. Simple to prepare with nourishing, plant-based ingredients!
Servings5 medium bowls
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder (I use mild)
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular, unsweetened)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite diced, crushed, etc.)
- 1 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups lacinato kale (or spinach)
Optional (for serving):
- Fresh lemon/lime juice, cilantro, cashews, vegan yogurt (plain & unsweetened)
In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
Meanwhile, mince garlic and grate ginger.
When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes.
Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, broth, and red lentils (rinsed and drained).
Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add roughly chopped kale (or spinach) during the last 5 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
Serve with vegan naan or flatbread if desired.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Calories: 361 kcal | Carbohydrates: 38 g | Protein: 13 g | Fat: 20 g | Saturated Fat: 17 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g | Potassium: 847 mg | Fiber: 15 g | Sugar: 8 g | Vitamin A: 1378 IU | Vitamin C: 25 mg | Calcium: 94 mg | Iron: 6 mg