Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing
Healthy, satisfying taco salad made with black beans, fresh veggies, and taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles. Then tossed in an easy & flavorful southwestern style dressing.
- 1 large head romaine (4-5 cups finely chopped)
- 1 batch chickpea-walnut taco crumbles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked
- 5 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- Optional for serving: tortilla strips, avocado/guacamole, cilantro
For the Creamy Southwestern Dressing:
- 1 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened* (about 10 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chipotle
Meanwhile, make the dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk/stir to combine. Adjust flavors if desired. Set aside.
Finely chop romaine. Halve/quarter grape tomatoes and finely dice red onion.
Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl (including taco crumbles when finished baking). Toss to combine.
Place portioned salad in serving bowls and top with desired amount of dressing. Add toppings if desired. (I enjoy crumbled tortilla chips for crunch.)
If saving for later, store salad and dressing separately in sealed containers in the fridge to preserve freshness.
Recipe yields 9 cups salad. (About 4 large 2.25-cup servings.)
Dressing amount is a good match for a heavily-dressed salad, but only use as much as desired.
*I use Forager Cashew Milk Yogurt. Just be sure your yogurt is plain & unsweetened.
Calories: 517 kcal | Carbohydrates: 69 g | Protein: 23 g | Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Potassium: 988 mg | Fiber: 19 g | Sugar: 13 g | Vitamin A: 1344 IU | Vitamin C: 23 mg | Calcium: 205 mg | Iron: 6 mg