Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
A crisp and refreshing southwestern salad tossed in a delicious creamy avocado cilantro-lime dressing.
Servings4 medium bowls
- 1 large head romaine
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 10 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes (about 1 pint)
- 2 cups sweet corn, cooked
- 5 green onions
For the Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing:
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro (stems removed and roughly chopped)
- 1/2 avocado (or 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime, more to taste)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for oil-free, sub a little water to thin)
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Recommended: agave & cumin to taste
Make the dressing: blend all dressing ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. (I love the addition of a little cumin, and also agave to sweeten.)
Chop romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions. Rinse and drain black beans.
Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Toss with desired amount of dressing.*
Read more about the notes and variations of the Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing here.
Recipe yields about 4 main dish servings, or 6-8 smaller side servings.
*If making ahead of time, store dressing + salad separately in the fridge to keep it crisp.
Calories: 362 kcal | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Protein: 11 g | Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g | Potassium: 940 mg | Fiber: 13 g | Sugar: 7 g | Vitamin A: 2798 IU | Vitamin C: 64 mg | Calcium: 70 mg | Iron: 3 mg