Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
An easy, healthy chickpea salad loaded with fresh veggies and a light lemon-basil dressing! Great for picnics or make-ahead lunches.
Servings6 medium bowls
- 30 oz. canned chickpeas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 1 bell pepper (I use yellow)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced (or green onion for milder flavor)
For the lemon basil dressing:
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 2-3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or fresh herbs)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Make dressing: mince garlic. In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. (Use 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar depending on how tangy you prefer.) Set aside.
Finely dice bell pepper, carrot, tomato, and cucumber. Place in a large bowl.
Rinse and drain chickpea and place in bowl with veggies. Pour dressing over top, and mix well to combine.
Can serve immediately, but tastes best after it chills and marinates in the fridge for at least an hour. (Just give it another stir before serving as the dressing will settle.)
Serving suggestions: enjoy as is, or serve it over greens/spinach, mix it with quinoa, or serve with pitas.
Feel free to add some fresh herbs for a brighter flavor, or change up the veggies as you wish!
Recipe yields about 6 medium bowls, or about 10 smaller side servings.
Calories: 259 kcal | Carbohydrates: 44 g | Protein: 14 g | Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Potassium: 635 mg | Fiber: 12 g | Sugar: 10 g | Vitamin A: 2561 IU | Vitamin C: 38 mg | Calcium: 99 mg | Iron: 5 mg