Summer Vegetable Chili
This vegetable chili includes two types of beans, plus a variety of garden produce for a fresh taste of summer. Satisfying and customizable!
Servings6 medium bowls
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash (or another zucchini or mushrooms)
- 1 bell pepper (I use orange)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans
- 1 cup sweet corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- Optional: 1-2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Fresh cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, green onion, vegan cheese shreds, vegan sour cream, tortilla strips, etc.
Dice onion, zucchini, squash, and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
When onion is translucent, add minced garlic and chili powder. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
Add zucchini, squash, and bell pepper. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
Add broth, diced tomatoes, corn, and beans (rinsed and drained).
Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Salt to taste and add any desired toppings before serving. (I love cilantro & avocado.)
This recipe is highly customizable. Other possible additions include: poblano pepper, jalapeno, chipotle, cayenne pepper, tomato paste or sauce for extra thickness, etc. (Or replace the zucchini/squash with mushrooms instead.)
I also enjoy adding extra spices like cumin & smoked paprika.
Adapted from Food Network
Calories: 204 kcal | Carbohydrates: 40 g | Protein: 11 g | Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Potassium: 945 mg | Fiber: 13 g | Sugar: 8 g | Vitamin A: 2530 IU | Vitamin C: 49 mg | Calcium: 113 mg | Iron: 4 mg