Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
These quick & easy fajitas make a flavorful, satisfying weeknight meal. Personalize them with your own favorite toppings!
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
Toppings of Choice:
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika (I like smoked)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
Prepare mushrooms: remove stems, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
Make the taco seasoning* by combining all taco seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
Add mushroom slices and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice. Warm the tortillas if desired.
Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
*Taco seasoning recipe yields about 3 Tbsp. Simply store the leftovers in a sealed glass container for later use.
Calories: 263 kcal | Carbohydrates: 45 g | Protein: 7 g | Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Potassium: 756 mg | Fiber: 11 g | Sugar: 9 g | Vitamin A: 5446 IU | Vitamin C: 108 mg | Calcium: 132 mg | Iron: 5 mg