These easy Portobello Mushroom Fajitas are a flavorful, satisfying meal. Plus they only take 30 minutes to make. Then personalize them with your own favorite toppings!
These easy Portobello fajitas combine a few of my favorite things: mushrooms, Mexican food, and colorful plants.
Portobello mushrooms have such a nice, tender, "meaty" texture, so they work really well in these satisfying veggie fajitas.
Ingredients for Portobello Fajitas
For this recipe you will need:
- Portobello mushrooms
- Bell peppers: The recipe calls for two full bell peppers, but I use four different colors, taking half of each pepper for maximum rainbow effect.
- Taco seasoning
- Lime juice
- Olive oil: Or substitute water/vegetable broth for an oil-free version.
- Corn tortillas: These are a great gluten-free choice, but use your own favorite tortillas!
- Toppings of choice
To prepare this meal in advance, slice the veggies and then make the taco seasoning ahead of time.
Personalize these with your own favorite toppings:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
Toppings of Choice:
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika (I like smoked)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
- Prepare mushrooms: remove stems, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make the taco seasoning* by combining all taco seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom slices and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice. Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these portobello mushroom fajitas, also check out:
- Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Sauce
- Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
- Vegetable Lo Mein