These easy Portobello Mushroom Veggie Fajitas are a flavorful, satisfying weeknight meal. Plus they're only 30 minutes, and you can also personalize them with your own favorite toppings!
These easy Portobello fajitas combine a few of my favorite things: mushrooms, Mexican food, and colorful plants.
Portobello mushrooms have such a nice, tender, "meaty" texture so they work really well in these satisfying veggie fajitas.
Ingredients for Mushroom Fajitas
For this recipe you will need:
- Portobello mushrooms
- Bell peppers: the recipe calls for two bell peppers but I used four different colors, taking half of each pepper for maximum rainbow effect.
- Taco seasoning
- Lime juice
- Olive oil (optional)
- Corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
- Toppings of choice
To prepare this meal in advance, you can even slice the veggies and make the taco seasoning ahead of time so it's even easier to assemble at dinner time.
Serving Your Veggie Fajitas
Everyone can personalize these with their own favorite toppings such as:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
Toppings of Choice:
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika (I like smoked)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
- Prepare mushrooms: remove stems, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make the taco seasoning* by combining all taco seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom slices and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice. Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying these portobello mushroom fajitas, also check out these other healthy 30-minute meals:
- Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Sauce
- Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
- Vegetable Lo Mein
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)