This easy lightened-up vegan Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry makes a satisfying 30 minute weeknight meal! A healthy oil-free stir-fry with fresh flavors of garlic and ginger. (Gluten-free.)
This Cashew Broccoli Stir Fry is so quick and easy! Plus filled with plant-based protein and fiber.
Just 7 simple ingredients, and less than 30 minutes is all you need to prepare it.
The idea was to recreate a lightened-up, whole food, plant-based version of chicken and broccoli stir fry.
Using tender, crunchy cashews in place of chicken brings such wonderful texture and flavor.
Ingredients for Cashew Stir Fry
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion: Or you can substitute red onion or white onion.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Ginger: I find fresh garlic and ginger will provide the best flavor for this recipe.
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Roasted cashews: I do not recommend raw cashew nuts for this recipe. (I use organic dry roasted and salted.) I have tested it with raw and for my preference, it is not nearly the same. Roasted adds another beautiful layer of flavor that I highly recommend.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Sesame seeds: Toasted if desired. (These are for sprinkling on top before serving.)
This recipe is heavy on the cashews, but you can easily reduce them and include other veggies instead.
Try it with mushrooms, zucchini, snow peas, sugar snap peas, baby bok choy, carrots, red bell pepper, tofu, green onions/scallions, etc.
Quinoa is a great pairing with this cashew stir fry because it finishes cooking at about the same time as the stir fry.
Brown rice (or cauliflower rice, jasmine rice, etc.) is also a lovely pairing. But it typically takes a bit longer to cook. So feel free to cook it in advance or start it a bit earlier than the stir fry.
Rice noodles (or ramen noodles, or your own favorite noodles) are another possibility for pairing, although I have not tried this yet.
Add other flavors as you see fit. For a more classic stir-fry, include a swirl of toasted sesame oil in the pan or wok. Or add rice vinegar for a slightly sweet and acidic taste.
If you have a favorite stir fry sauce, then by all means adapt the recipe to include it!
There are similar flavors in this easy Asian-style Teriyaki Sauce if you would like to give that a try as well. (This is a thicker sauce because it includes cornstarch.)
For more inspiration, browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli (10 oz. florets, about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (about a 1 inch piece)
- 1 cup roasted cashews*
- 2-3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Sesame seeds for topping
For serving (optional):
- Brown rice, quinoa, noodles, etc.
- Begin cooking your rice or quinoa if using. (Or do this ahead of time so it’s ready to go.)
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 8-10 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and grate ginger. (I use a microplane grater for ginger.) Cut broccoli into florets.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and broccoli. Stir.
- Add 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth), cover, and let broccoli steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Important: keep an eye on it and add more water/broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out.)
- Add cashews and tamari. (Start with 2 Tbsp. tamari and add more as desired.)
- Stir well and heat another 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is desired tenderness.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds over a warm bed of rice or quinoa.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan broccoli cashew stir fry, also check out: