Warm and comforting Vegan Potato Lentil Stew with hearty Portobello mushrooms! So rich and flavorful, plus packed with satisfying plant-based nutrients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This hearty, satisfying stew is like a warm hug in a bowl.
It combines chunky carrots and potatoes with lentils and tender mushrooms, all swimming in a rich, savory broth.
This is a great meal for leftovers because I find the flavors are just as good (if not better) the next day after they have had a chance to blend and intensify.
Ingredients for Potato Lentil Stew
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Gold potato
- Portobello mushroom: Or you can also substitute other mushrooms if portobellos are not available.
- Green/brown lentils
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- Tamari: Or soy sauce.
- Garlic powder
However, if you do not care for mushrooms, simply omit and add extra lentils (using about 3/4 cup to 1 cup total). We love that variation as well.
Portobello Mushroom & Potato Stew with Lentils
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 3 medium gold potatoes (about 1 lb.)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (or 8 oz. cremini/button)
- 1/2 cup green/brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- Fresh parsley for serving
- Spinach or kale, to stir in at the end
- Dice onion and carrot. Cut potato into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch cubes. Slice portobello mushrooms.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more liquid as needed.)
- When onions are translucent, add garlic powder, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth, tomato paste, and tamari. Rinse lentils well and add to pot.
- Increase heat to bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
- Salt/pepper to taste as needed (or add more tamari). Garnish with fresh parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan potato lentil stew, also check out: