This healthy vegan Corn and Potato Chowder has the most luxurious, golden, cheesy broth. Plus it is only 8 ingredients with super easy assembly which makes it a great weeknight meal. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This healthier Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder is just 8 simple ingredients. It is made dairy-free plus without any cream, olive oil, all-purpose flour, or butter.
Plus it is easy to assemble in a pot right on the stovetop which makes it a great weeknight meal.
I love the rich, savory flavors and sweetness of the corn. The golden, cheesy broth is spiked with flavorful smoked paprika and is deliciously creamy.
It is a family favorite filled with plant-based protein and fiber.
Ingredients for Vegan Corn Chowder
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Red potatoes: Or you can substitute Yukon gold potatoes.
- Sweet corn: Either fresh corn kernels, canned, or frozen corn. Be sure your corn is sweet and flavorful as it adds wonderful taste to this recipe. (I use organic corn.)
- Vegetable broth
- Almond milk (plain + unsweetened): Or other plant-based milk, but be sure it is plain and unsweetened.
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a rich and savory cheesy taste.
- Smoked paprika
You could also add other diced veggies such as celery or red bell pepper.
Either serve this chowder as is, or blend half to create a creamier consistency. (Our favorite way to enjoy!) I use an immersion blender which works really well for soups.
I like to top my bowl with fresh chives or thinly sliced green onion before serving.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days. We simply reheat in the microwave.
Vegan Corn & Potato Chowder
- 1 onion
- 2 lbs. red potatoes (about 4-5 cups diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3 cups sweet corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups almond milk* (plain & unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or green onions
- Dice onion. In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion in 3 Tbsp. broth/water for about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and cut potatoes into about 3/4″ chunks.
- Add potatoes and smoked paprika to pot. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, milk, corn, and nutritional yeast. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Salt/pepper to taste, and add more nutritional yeast if desired.
- Leave as is, or blend some for a creamier texture. (I like to blend about half with an immersion blender.)
- Garnish with fresh chives, green onion, etc. if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this healthy Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder, also check out: