This healthy vegan Corn and Potato Chowder has the most luxurious, golden, cheesy broth. Plus it is only 8 ingredients with super easy assembly which makes it a great weeknight meal. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This healthier Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder is just 8 simple ingredients!
It's deliciously creamy and cheesy, but made with no cream, olive oil, all-purpose flour, or butter.
Plus it's easy to assemble right on the stovetop which makes it a great weeknight meal.
It's a family favorite recipe in our house!
Ingredients for Vegan Corn Chowder
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Sweet onion or white onion also works well.
- Red potatoes: I prefer red potatoes in this recipe, but you can substitute Yukon gold potatoes too.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or use dried garlic powder if desired.
- Sweet corn: Either fresh corn kernels, canned, or frozen corn. Be sure your corn is sweet and flavorful as it adds wonderful taste to this recipe. (I use frozen organic corn.)
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- Almond milk (plain + unsweetened): Or other plant-based milk, but be sure it is plain and unsweetened.
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a rich and savory taste that is delightfully cheesy.
- Smoked paprika
More veggies! You could also add other diced vegetables such as celery or red bell pepper.
Blending: Either serve this chowder as is, or blend half to create a creamier consistency. (Our favorite way to enjoy!) I use an immersion blender which works really well for soups.
Garnish: Top your bowl with fresh chives or thinly sliced green onion before serving if desired.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 lbs. red potatoes (about 4-5 cups diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3 cups sweet corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups almond milk* (plain & unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or green onions
- Dice onion. In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion in 3 Tbsp. broth/water for about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and cut potatoes into about 3/4″ chunks.
- Add potatoes and smoked paprika to pot. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, milk, corn, and nutritional yeast. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Salt/pepper to taste, and add more nutritional yeast if desired.
- Leave as is, or blend some for a creamier texture. (I like to blend about half with an immersion blender.)
- Garnish with fresh chives, green onion, etc. if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this healthy Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder recipe, also check out:
- Vegetable Chowder
- Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
- White Bean Tomato Soup with Kale
- Lentil Orzo Soup with Spinach