Simple yet flavorful vegan Tomato and White Bean Soup with fresh kale, zucchini, hearty beans, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Plus it is only 30 minutes to prepare, making it a great lunch or dinner. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
This vegan white bean soup recipe is so quick and easy to prepare (and only 30 minutes!)
It is a great lunch or dinner with plenty of cozy, satisfying flavor. Plus nourishing plant-based protein, nutrients, and fiber.
The ingredients are simple, but it feels like such wonderful comfort food!
Ingredients for White Bean Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute a teaspoon or two of dried garlic powder instead.
- Vegetable broth
- Canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar: This adds a splash of rich, deep flavor to the broth.
- Cannellini beans: These are also known as white kidney beans. Or you can substitute another white bean such as great northern beans or navy beans.
- Lacinato kale/dinosaur kale: Or stir in fresh baby spinach or other greens to the pot towards the end of simmer time.
- Dried basil
Soup is a versatile dish, so change it up as you see fit.
Herbs: Add your favorite herbs or fresh herbs to this soup. Try Italian seasonings, dried oregano, thyme, parsley, smoked paprika, bay leaves, or fresh rosemary to taste.
Vegetables: Include other veggies such as leeks, celery, carrot, red bell pepper, yellow summer squash, spinach, etc.
Make it meaty: Include your favorite vegan Italian sausage if desired.
Serving + Storing
Sprinkle your bowl with a tablespoon of fresh herbs before serving if desired. Or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or vegan parmesan cheese.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
For more inspiration, browse all gluten-free recipes.
Fire-Roasted Tomato & White Bean Soup with Kale
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 30 oz. can cannellini beans (two 15 oz. cans, or other white bean)
- 1/2 bunch fresh lacinato kale (2-3 cups chopped)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
Optional (for serving):
- Fresh chopped basil or parsley
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice zucchini.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, zucchini, and dried basil. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with juice, and balsamic vinegar. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans and add to pot.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop kale (large stems removed). Stir in kale during the last few minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste (and top with fresh herbs before serving if desired).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Tomato White Bean and Kale Soup, also check out:
- Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder
- White Bean Salad (10 Minute)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Chickpea Noodle Soup