A vegan fire-roasted Tomato and White Bean Soup recipe with fresh kale, zucchini, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Plus it's only 30 minutes to prepare, making it a great lunch or dinner! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This tasty white bean soup recipe is so quick and easy to prepare. (Only 30 minutes!)
It's a great lunch or dinner option with lots of cozy, satisfying flavor.
The ingredients are simple, but it feels like such wonderful comfort food.
Plus it includes nourishing plant-based protein, nutrients, and fiber.
Ingredients for White Bean Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use white onion or sweet onion.
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute a teaspoon or two of dried garlic powder instead.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar: This adds a splash of rich, deep flavor to the broth.
- Cannellini beans: These are also known as white kidney beans. Or you can substitute another white bean such as great northern beans or navy beans.
- Lacinato kale/dinosaur kale: I like kale best in this recipe, but you can stir in fresh baby spinach or other greens to the pot towards the end of simmer time instead if desired.
- Dried basil
Herbs: Add your favorite herbs or fresh herbs to this soup. Try Italian seasonings, dried oregano, thyme, parsley, smoked paprika, bay leaves, or fresh rosemary to taste.
Vegetables: Include other veggies such as leeks, celery, carrot, red bell pepper, yellow summer squash, spinach, etc.
Make it "meaty": Include your favorite vegan Italian sausage if desired. I suggest cooking this separately according to package instructions, then stirring in at the end of cooking time.
Garnish: Sprinkle your bowl with a tablespoon of fresh herbs like parsley before serving if desired. Or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or vegan parmesan cheese is tasty too.
On the side: A simple salad or crusty toasted sourdough bread is great served with this soup.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
White Bean Tomato Soup with Kale
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 30 oz. can cannellini beans (two 15 oz. cans, or other white bean)
- 1/2 bunch fresh lacinato kale (2-3 cups chopped)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
Optional (for serving):
- Fresh chopped basil or parsley
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice zucchini.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, zucchini, and dried basil. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with juice, and balsamic vinegar. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans and add to pot.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop kale (large stems removed). Stir in kale during the last few minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste (and top with fresh herbs before serving if desired).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Tomato White Bean and Kale Soup recipe, also check out:
- Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder
- White Bean Tomato Salad (10 Minute)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Chickpea Noodle Soup