A satisfying Vegan "Chicken" Noodle Soup recipe made with chickpeas instead of chicken! It's easy to make, and a soothing comfort meal made with nourishing, whole food ingredients. (Vegan, oil-free, gluten-free option.)
This chickpea noodle soup recipe is made with plant-based chickpeas instead of chicken.
It's made with simple, nourishing, whole food ingredients, and is also a budget-friendly meal.
Plus it's easy to customize with the herbs, pasta, and vegetables you love.
Ingredients for Chickpea Noodle Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion instead.
- Celery stalks
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder if desired.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but any variety should work such as white button, shiitake, or Portobello.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): These are a healthy "meat" substitute and provide hearty texture, protein, and fiber. (Plus no cholesterol!)
- Pasta: Use gluten-free pasta if desired. I like brown rice + quinoa fusilli pasta.
- Dried basil and dried oregano: Be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- White miso: This adds a nice richness and savory, umami flavor. I highly recommend including it, however you can simply replace with salt if desired.
Not a fan of mushrooms? Simply omit them!
Add greens: Stir in some fresh kale or baby spinach to your soup pot towards the end of cooking if desired.
Other veggies: Try it with bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash, peas, or anything else that sounds good.
Herbs: Change up the herbs as you see fit. Add a bay leaf (removing before serving), thyme, rosemary, etc.
Garnish: Top your bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, or garnish with fresh parsley before serving if desired. (This adds nice flavor and freshness.)
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps for about 4-5 days.
Freezing note: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but soups with pasta generally don't freeze quite as well. The pasta tends to lose it's shape and texture when reheated.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 oz. mushrooms (omit if desired)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (more if desired)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 6 oz. pasta (I use a gluten-free quinoa/brown rice blend)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. white miso
For serving (optional):
- Fresh parsley, lemon juice
- Dice onion, mince garlic. Slice carrot, celery, and mushrooms.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, minced garlic, and dried herbs. Stir and sauté another 4 minutes.
- Add 6 cups vegetable broth. Cover, and bring to a light boil.
- Once boiling, add pasta and chickpeas (rinsed and drained). Stir and reduce heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes (or until your pasta is cooked through).
- In a small bowl, whisk miso with about 1/3 cup warm water to thin and remove clumps. Add to pot and stir.
- Salt/pepper if needed. (Or add more miso to taste.) Top with fresh parsley if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan chickpea noodle soup recipe, also check out: