A homestyle Vegan "Chicken" Noodle Soup recipe made with chickpeas instead of chicken! It's easy to make with nourishing whole food ingredients. Enjoy this satisfying comfort meal for lunch or dinner! (Vegan, oil-free, gluten-free option.)
This homestyle chickpea noodle soup is a comforting vegan remix of chicken noodle soup. We swap in plant-based chickpeas instead of chicken!
It's super easy to make with nourishing, whole food ingredients.
Plus you can easily customize it with the herbs, pasta, and vegetables you love.
It's a nourishing and budget-friendly lunch or dinner, and the leftovers save great for reheating.
Ingredients for Chickpea Noodle Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot on the stovetop:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion instead.
- Carrot and celery stalks
- Fresh garlic cloves: I like the taste of fresh best, but you can substitute dried garlic powder if needed.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but any variety should work such as white button, shiitake, or Portobello.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): We use these for a healthy "meat" substitute instead of chicken. They provide hearty texture, protein, and fiber, plus no cholesterol.
- Pasta: Use gluten-free pasta if desired. I like brown rice + quinoa fusilli pasta.
- Dried basil and dried oregano: Be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- White miso: This adds a nice richness and savory, umami flavor. I highly recommend including it, however you can simply replace with salt if desired.
- Apple cider vinegar: Just a couple teaspoons add a little more depth and hint of tanginess to the broth. Feel free to add a splash more if desired.
- Fresh parsley: This is optional but recommended! I like to stir in a couple tablespoons of chopped parsley at the end of cooking time for fresh, bright flavor.
Not a fan of mushrooms? Simply omit them!
Add greens: Stir in a handful of fresh kale or baby spinach to your soup pot towards the end of cooking if desired.
Other veggies: Try it with bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash, potato, parsnip, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, or anything else that sounds good.
Herbs: Change up the herbs as you see fit. Add a bay leaf (removing before serving), thyme, rosemary, basil, Italian seasoning, etc.
Garnish: Top your bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper to taste, or garnish with more fresh parsley or even fresh dill if desired. It's also great with a piece of crusty sourdough bread on the side.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I find it keeps for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Freezer note: I haven't tried freezing this recipe, but soups with pasta generally don't freeze quite as well. The pasta tends to lose it's shape and texture when you thaw and reheat.
For more inspiration, also browse all chickpea recipes or vegan soup recipes.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 5 oz. mushrooms (omit if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 5 oz. fusilli pasta*
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. white miso
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh parsley (optional)
- Dice onion, carrot, and celery. Slice mushrooms. Mince garlic and set aside.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrot, and celery for about 6 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When onion is tender, add mushrooms, garlic, basil, and oregano. Stir and sauté another 4 minutes.
- Add broth and chickpeas (rinsed and drained). Bring to a light boil.
- Once boiling, add pasta and stir. Then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10-12 minutes (or until your pasta is cooked through).
- In a small bowl, whisk miso with about 1/3 cup warm water until smooth. Add to pot at end of cooking time. Stir in vinegar and chopped fresh parsley. Salt and pepper to taste before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan chickpea noodle soup recipe, also check out:
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Hi Kaitlin! Just stumbled across this recipe and wondered why I hadn’t made it before… I made it today for lunch to fill a craving for “chicken” noodle soup and the comfort it brings when feeling a bit under the weather. Wow! As usual, this soup delivers on both taste and simplicity, not to mention comfort!! Delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this gem of a recipe.
So glad you found this to be a great chicken noodle soup replacement, Jennifer! Thank you as always for sharing!
I know when I make one of your recipes, it will be delicious. This soup is so tasty. Great job!!
Very kind, thank you. So glad you enjoyed it, Judeen!
I love making soup! I added veggie broth, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, pasta, parsnips and dill. It was so amazing.
What beautiful additions! Thanks for sharing!