A satisfying vegan chicken noodle soup recipe made with chickpeas instead of chicken! Easy to make, and a great comfort meal made with nourishing, whole food ingredients. (Oil-free with a gluten-free option.)
This chickpea noodle soup recipe is made with plant-based chickpeas instead of chicken.
A big pot of comforting noodle soup is perfect on chilly days (or when I'm feeling a little under the weather). It tastes so warm and soothing.
This soup is made with simple, nourishing, whole food ingredients, and is also a budget-friendly meal.
Plus it is easy to customize with the herbs, pasta, and vegetables you love.
Ingredients for Chickpea Noodle Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute garlic powder.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but any variety should work such as white button, shiitake, or Portobello. (Or simply omit the mushrooms if desired.)
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): These provide hearty texture, protein, and fiber.
- Pasta: Use gluten-free pasta if desired. I like brown rice + quinoa fusilli pasta.
- Dried basil and dried oregano
- White miso: This adds a nice richness and savory, umami flavor. I highly recommend including it, however you can simply replace with salt if desired.
Add greens: Stir in some fresh kale or baby spinach to your soup pot towards the end of cooking if desired.
Other veggies: Try it with bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash, peas, or anything else that sounds good.
Herbs: Change up the herbs as you see fit. Add a bay leaf (removing before serving), thyme, rosemary, etc.
Top your bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, or garnish with fresh parsley before serving if desired. (It adds nice flavor and freshness.)
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps for about 4-5 days.
Freezing note: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but soups with pasta generally don't freeze quite as well. The pasta tends to lose it's shape and texture when reheated.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 oz. mushrooms (omit if desired)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (more if desired)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 6 oz. pasta (I use a gluten-free quinoa/brown rice blend)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. white miso
For serving (optional):
- Fresh parsley, lemon juice
- Dice onion, mince garlic. Slice carrot, celery, and mushrooms.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, minced garlic, and dried herbs. Stir and sauté another 4 minutes.
- Add 6 cups vegetable broth. Cover, and bring to a light boil.
- Once boiling, add pasta and chickpeas (rinsed and drained). Stir and reduce heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes (or until your pasta is cooked through).
- In a small bowl, whisk miso with about 1/3 cup warm water to thin and remove clumps. Add to pot and stir.
- Salt/pepper if needed. (Or add more miso to taste.) Top with fresh parsley if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan chicken noodle soup recipe, also check out: