Easy Vegan Southwest Soup with black beans, sweet corn, and delicious fiesta-style flavors. Only 10 simple ingredients, 30 minutes, and a satisfying weeknight meal!
This easy southwestern soup is a fiesta in a bowl!
It combines a satisfying blend of hearty black beans, warm flavors, and fresh colorful veggies.
Plus it is only 1 pot, 10 ingredients, and 30 minutes to make which is perfect for busy weeknights or a quick lunch.
Stir in some cooked brown rice or quinoa before serving to make it even more substantial and nutrient-packed.
Ingredients for Southwest Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Bell pepper: I use red or orange, but yellow and green work too.
- Diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted.
- Vegetable broth
- Black beans
- Sweet corn: Fresh, canned, frozen, fire-roasted, etc.
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Smoked paprika
The recipe is mild as written if using a regular/mild chili powder.
Simply add more chili powder, chipotle, or hot sauce if you want to spice it up.
Plus I love how everyone can have fun personalizing theirs with their own favorite toppings.
Avocado, tomato, cilantro, green onion, or crumbled tortilla chips are all great.
For more inspiration, browse all bean recipes.
Southwest Black Bean Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper (I use red or orange)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 30 oz. canned black beans (two 15 oz. cans or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (or a 15 oz. can)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, tomato, tortilla strips, jalapeno, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, cashew sour cream, fresh lime juice
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes with juice, corn, and black beans (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Salt to taste, and garnish with desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Southwest Bean Soup, also check out: