This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe is a tasty blend of bold, rich flavor. Perfect for tacos, burritos, fajitas, soup, beans, vegetables, and more!
Store-bought seasoning packets are convenient but nothing beats the freshness and versatility of making your own spice blends right at home.
This quick & easy taco seasoning recipe is a great way to save money and control the ingredients (because it has no additives, preservatives, or excess sodium).
Plus it is made with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
Ingredients for Taco Seasoning
You will need the following spices for this seasoning mix:
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
This mix is mild (if using mild chili powder).
So if you like yours spicy, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Ground chipotle is also a great addition for some warm smokiness.
How to Make
To make your taco seasoning, simply combine all the spices and salt, then thoroughly shake/stir to mix it together.
How to Store
I often make a larger batch by doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the recipe.
Then store it in a sealed glass jar in our pantry to have on hand whenever needed - super convenient!
It keeps for several months at room temperature in a tightly sealed container.
How Much Taco Seasoning is in a Store-Bought Packet?
Standard store-bought packets of taco seasoning typically have about 2 or 3 tablespoons of seasoning.
This recipe yields about 3 tablespoons, so it's a great match and replacement for one store-bought packet.
How to Make Taco Meat
This seasoning mix is great for making simple ground meat tacos. (Since we are vegan, I use Beyond Meat's plant-based grounds which work great.) The general recipe is:
- 1 pound ground meat
- 2-3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water (more/less as desired)
Simply brown your "meat" in a skillet first, then add the taco seasoning and water. (The water helps to combine and coat the crumbles evenly.) Let simmer for a few minutes until the water has absorbed.
Recipes with Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles (pictured above)
- Portobello Fajitas (pictured below)
- Black Bean Lentil Taco Soup
- Vegan Taco Salad with Southwestern Dressing
- Black Bean + Quinoa Fajita Burritos (freezer-friendly)
- Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
For more inspiration, browse all Mexican-inspired recipes!
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder*
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (or regular)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more/less as desired)
Optional spicy additions:
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, a dash of cayenne pepper, or a dash of ground chipotle
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl or jar. Stir or shake until thoroughly combined.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container for later use. (It keeps for several months.)