A healthy, satisfying Vegan Taco Salad bowl made with black beans, fresh veggies, and taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles! Then it's tossed in an easy & flavorful southwestern style dressing. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Vegan Taco Salad bowl is packed with protein (about 23 grams per serving)!
We combine black beans, fresh vegetables, and taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles. These are my favorite vegan "beef" crumbles and much healthier than store-bought alternatives.
Then we'll toss it with a simple but flavorful creamy southwestern-style dressing.
Ingredients for Taco Salad
For the salad portion you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Romaine lettuce
- Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles: These are so simple to make and add great texture. Plus protein and fiber!
- Black beans: Or use pinto beans if desired.
- Sweet corn: Either cooked fresh, canned, fire-roasted, etc.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: I use these because they are so sweet and flavorful. Substitute with roma tomato or plum tomato if desired.
- Red onion
- Desired toppings: Tortilla chips, guacamole or avocado, fresh cilantro, etc.
Tip: You can also add cooked brown rice, Spanish rice, or quinoa for extra heartiness!
Ingredients for Dressing
For the creamy southwestern-style dressing you will need:
- Vegan yogurt: Be sure it's plain and unsweetened. I use Forager cashew milk yogurt.
- Fresh lime juice: We will need two tablespoons for this recipe. (Which is about one lime.)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Onion powder: Be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Pure maple syrup: Or substitute with another liquid sweetener.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt. Use as much or as little as you'd like.
Tip: You can also add fresh cilantro and/or chipotle for some smoky spiciness!
For more inspiration, also browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing
- 1 large head romaine (4-5 cups finely chopped)
- 1 batch chickpea-walnut taco crumbles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked
- 5 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- Optional for serving: tortilla strips, avocado/guacamole, cilantro
For the Creamy Southwestern Dressing:
- 1 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened* (about 10 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chipotle
- Make the chickpea-walnut taco crumbles.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk/stir to combine. Adjust flavors if desired. Set aside.
- Finely chop romaine. Halve/quarter grape tomatoes and finely dice red onion.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl (including taco crumbles when finished baking). Toss to combine.
- Place portioned salad in serving bowls and top with desired amount of dressing. Add toppings if desired. (I enjoy crumbled tortilla chips for crunch.)
- If saving for later, store salad and dressing separately in sealed containers in the fridge to preserve freshness.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Taco Salad bowl with Southwest Dressing, also check out: