Healthy, satisfying Vegan Taco Salad made with black beans, fresh veggies, and taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles! Then tossed in an easy & flavorful southwestern style dressing. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This fresh & hearty Vegan Taco Salad is packed with protein (about 23g per serving) and also a variety of plant-based nutrients.
It combines black beans, fresh vegetables, and easy taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles which are my favorite vegan "beef" crumbles. And then it's tossed with a simple but flavorful creamy southwestern-style dressing.
Ingredients for Taco Salad
- Romaine lettuce
- Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles
- Black beans
- Sweet corn (cooked fresh, canned, fire-roasted, etc.)
- Grape tomatoes (or cherry, roma, etc.)
- Red onion
- Any desired toppings (such as tortilla chips, guacamole or avocado, fresh cilantro, etc.)
Ingredients for Dressing
For the creamy southwestern-style dressing you'll need:
- Vegan yogurt (plain & unsweetened - I use Forager cashew milk yogurt)
- Lime juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chili powder (I use mild)
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Pure maple syrup
You can also add fresh cilantro and/or chipotle for some smoky spiciness.
Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing
- 1 large head romaine (4-5 cups finely chopped)
- 1 batch chickpea-walnut taco crumbles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked
- 5 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- Optional for serving: tortilla strips, avocado/guacamole, cilantro
For the Creamy Southwestern Dressing:
- 1 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened* (about 10 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chipotle
- Make the chickpea-walnut taco crumbles.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk/stir to combine. Adjust flavors if desired. Set aside.
- Finely chop romaine. Halve/quarter grape tomatoes and finely dice red onion.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl (including taco crumbles when finished baking). Toss to combine.
- Place portioned salad in serving bowls and top with desired amount of dressing. Add toppings if desired. (I enjoy crumbled tortilla chips for crunch.)
- If saving for later, store salad and dressing separately in sealed containers in the fridge to preserve freshness.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this healthy Vegan Taco Salad with Southwest Dressing, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)