A healthy, satisfying Vegan Taco Salad bowl made with black beans, fresh veggies, and taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles! Then it's tossed in an easy & flavorful southwestern style dressing. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Vegan Taco Salad bowl is packed with protein (about 23 grams per serving)!
We combine black beans, fresh vegetables, and taco-seasoned chickpea-walnut crumbles. These are my favorite vegan "beef" crumbles and much healthier than store-bought alternatives.
Then we'll toss it with a simple but flavorful creamy southwestern-style dressing.
Ingredients for Taco Salad
For the salad portion you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Romaine lettuce
- Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles: These are so simple to make and add great texture. Plus protein and fiber!
- Black beans: Or use pinto beans if desired.
- Sweet corn: Either cooked fresh, canned, fire-roasted, etc.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: I use these because they are so sweet and flavorful. Substitute with roma tomato or plum tomato if desired.
- Red onion
- Desired toppings: Tortilla chips, guacamole or avocado, fresh cilantro, etc.
Tip: You can also add cooked brown rice, Spanish rice, or quinoa for extra heartiness!
Ingredients for Dressing
For the creamy southwestern-style dressing you will need:
- Vegan yogurt: Be sure it's plain and unsweetened. I use Forager cashew milk yogurt.
- Fresh lime juice: We will need two tablespoons for this recipe. (Which is about one lime.)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Onion powder: Be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Pure maple syrup: Or substitute with another liquid sweetener.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt. Use as much or as little as you'd like.
Tip: You can also add fresh cilantro and/or chipotle for some smoky spiciness!
For more inspiration, also browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing
- 1 large head romaine (4-5 cups finely chopped)
- 1 batch chickpea-walnut taco crumbles
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked
- 5 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- Optional for serving: tortilla strips, avocado/guacamole, cilantro
For the Creamy Southwestern Dressing:
- 1 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened* (about 10 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chipotle
- Make the chickpea-walnut taco crumbles.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk/stir to combine. Adjust flavors if desired. Set aside.
- Finely chop romaine. Halve/quarter grape tomatoes and finely dice red onion.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl (including taco crumbles when finished baking). Toss to combine.
- Place portioned salad in serving bowls and top with desired amount of dressing. Add toppings if desired. (I enjoy crumbled tortilla chips for crunch.)
- If saving for later, store salad and dressing separately in sealed containers in the fridge to preserve freshness.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this Vegan Taco Salad bowl with Southwest Dressing, also check out: