This Cucumber Salad recipe with onion, tomato, and tangy vinegar is a summertime classic. So simple, crisp, and utterly refreshing!
This easy cucumber salad recipe has been a summertime staple for years.
It is incredibly simple, yet so flavorful with crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, and a tangy vinaigrette.
It is a great seasonal dish to make in the summer because of the abundance of garden produce at peak flavor.
Ingredients for Cucumber Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Cucumber: Most often I use English cucumbers (also called hothouse) because they have more flavor and less seeds. But regular seedless garden cucumbers can work well too.
- Onion: I prefer thinly sliced red onion or white onion.
- Roma tomatoes: Be sure they are ripe and flavorful. Or you can use grape or cherry tomatoes for a richer, sweeter flavor.
- White wine vinegar: Or substitute red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Olive oil: This is optional and you can omit for an oil-free version if desired.
- Dried oregano: Or use fresh herbs like dill, parsley, basil, etc.
- Salt: Use as much or as little to your taste. This helps to enhance the flavors.
This cucumber salad is very versatile and easy to customize based on the flavors and ingredients you enjoy. A few ideas include:
- Fresh herbs: Dill, parsley, or basil, etc. are great additions and enhance the freshness and flavor even more. (I highly recommend fresh dill!)
- Garlic: One clove of minced garlic added to the dressing will provide a nice zing of garlic flavor. (Or lightly sauté it first to help mellow the raw garlic.)
- Spice it up: For a spicier version, simply add about 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (more or less) or crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
- Sweeten it: Many classic cucumber salads will often include sugar to help sweeten and balance the flavors. So you can include a touch of sugar or agave to the dressing if desired.
Again, be sure to find ripe, flavorful produce for this recipe because it can make all the difference. I would love to hear any variations you try!
For more inspiration, browse all salad recipes.
- 2 large English cucumbers (or seedless garden cucumbers)
- 1/2 small onion (red or white)
- 3 roma tomatoes (or grape/cherry tomatoes)
For the vinegar dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional, omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (or fresh herbs*)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Thinly slice cucumbers (peeled if desired) and thinly slice onion. Dice tomatoes, removing excess juice. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad. Toss to combine. Adjust flavors as desired (more vinegar, salt, herbs).
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for an hour to let flavors combine.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this cucumber onion salad with vinegar, also browse all side dish recipes or check out:
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
- Quinoa Avocado Spinach Power Salad
- BBQ Chickpea Chopped Salad
- Asian Style Chopped Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette