This nutrient-rich Quinoa Avocado Spinach Power Salad recipe only takes 25 minutes to make! It's full of delicious flavors and healthy, energizing, plant-based goodness. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Quinoa Avocado Spinach Salad is so fresh and tasty!
Fluffy white quinoa, fresh spinach, and sweet tomatoes combine with creamy avocado.
It's nourishing, pleasantly filling, and feels so energizing.
Plus it's easy to make and only 25 minutes to prepare!
Ingredients for Quinoa Spinach Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- White quinoa: This is a good source of protein and fiber among many other nutrients. Quinoa is also a complete protein which means it contains all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa is often classified as a grain, but technically it is a seed, making it gluten-free. There are a few different varieties, but I like using white quinoa in this recipe.
- Avocado: Avocados are technically a type of tropical fruit. Their smooth, buttery texture and rich flavor is perfect paired with the fluffy quinoa.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: I like these because they are sweet and flavorful, but you could substitute roma tomato, plum tomato, or other ripe garden tomatoes.
- Green onion (scallion): Or you can substitute finely diced red onion for a stronger taste.
- Red wine vinegar: Or use fresh lemon juice or lime juice instead. You could also include lemon or lime zest for added flavor.
- Fresh garlic cloves: I like the flavor of fresh garlic, but you can use a half teaspoon dried garlic powder instead.
Oil note: The dressing is made oil-free, however feel free to whisk in a tablespoon of good quality olive oil if preferred.
Protein: Tossing in chickpeas, white beans, or seeds will add even more plant-based protein and fiber.
Herbs: Add fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or basil for added taste before serving. Or you can also add dried herbs to the dressing. (Dijon mustard is also a tasty addition to the dressing!)
Veggies: Stir in cucumber or red bell pepper for added crunch. Roasted bell pepper or kalamata olives would be tasty too.
Vegan cheese: Sprinkle vegan feta cheese crumbles on top before serving if desired.
This quinoa salad makes a great take-along lunch that you can make ahead of time and store in the fridge.
It also works great for meal prep, picnics, potlucks, parties, etc. It's great as a main dish or side dish.
Store the leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days.
Tip: If preparing ahead, you can also save the avocado to add right before serving if you wish. This helps keep it fresh.
Quinoa Avocado Spinach Power Salad
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 avocados
- 3 oz. baby spinach (more if desired)
- 8 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes
- 3 green onions (or finely diced red onion)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic (I use 2)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Cucumber, fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, etc.), lemon juice, Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. dried oregano/basil
- Rinse and cook quinoa.*
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the spinach. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mince garlic, and add to spinach.
- Halve/quarter cherry tomatoes, slice green onions, and dice avocado.
- When quinoa is done cooking, immediately add it to the large bowl with spinach and garlic. Toss well to combine. (The heat from the quinoa will lightly wilt the spinach and mellow the garlic.)
- Add the tomatoes, green onions, red wine vinegar, and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- Add the avocado and lightly toss. Serve immediately or refrigerate to let flavors blend/intensify.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Quinoa Avocado Spinach Power Salad, also check out: