This fresh and colorful vegan BBQ Chickpea Salad is so flavorful! It's tossed with a homemade avocado ranch dressing, then topped with tender, warm chickpeas simmered in BBQ sauce. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This is a plant-based version of the classic BBQ Chicken Salad!
It's easy to assemble, and packed with flavor and protein.
The colorful chopped salad is tossed with a homemade vegan ranch dressing. (Or you can simply use your own favorite ranch.)
Then we top it with tender, warm chickpeas simmered in BBQ sauce. (Yum.)
It's great for lunch, dinner, take-along lunches, meal prep, etc.
Ingredients for BBQ Chickpea Salad
For this recipe you will toss together:
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas): We use these for the chicken replacement. Chickpeas have a tender, hearty texture and are rich in plant-based protein and fiber.
- BBQ sauce: Use your own favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe, either homemade or store bought.
- Romaine lettuce
- Cooked sweet corn: You can either use cooked fresh, canned, frozen, or fire-roasted.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: Or roma tomato, plum tomato, or other garden tomatoes. I like cherry or grape tomatoes best in this recipe for their rich, sweet flavor.
- Shredded carrots
- Green onion (scallion): Or you can use red onion for a stronger onion flavor.
- Avocado ranch dressing: See the recipe below for my homemade vegan avocado ranch dressing, or simply use your own favorite ranch dressing.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
To keep it fresh and crisp: Store the prepared dressing, BBQ chickpeas, and salad separately. Then toss the three together when you're ready to serve.
If stored separately, we find it keeps well for about 3-4 days.
Dressing note: We usually have a little dressing left over. But I like using it on other salads or as a veggie dip! It keeps for about 3 days in the fridge.
BBQ Chickpea Salad with Avocado Ranch
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 large head romaine
- 1 cup cooked sweet corn (canned, frozen, or cooked fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2-3 green onions
For the avocado ranch:
- 1 avocado (peeled and pitted)
- 1 cup almond or soy milk (plain and unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill (or 1-2 Tbsp. fresh dill)
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley (or 1-2 Tbsp. fresh parsley)
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Optional: fresh chives
- Make the dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavors if necessary.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer chickpeas in BBQ sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Feel free to add a splash of vegetable broth or water to slightly thin the sauce if desired.)
- Meanwhile, chop the romaine, tomatoes, and green onion. Place in a bowl. Add corn and carrots. Toss to combine.
- When ready to assemble, distribute the salad into bowls, toss with desired amount of dressing, and top with warm BBQ chickpeas.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan BBQ Chickpea Salad recipe with avocado ranch, also check out: