This fresh and colorful BBQ Chickpea Salad is so flavorful! It is tossed with a homemade avocado ranch dressing, and then topped with tender, warm chickpeas simmered in BBQ sauce. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This is a plant-based version of the classic "BBQ Chicken Salad".
I wanted to make a vegan version of this salad because the flavor combination is so amazing.
It is simple to make, so tasty and satisfying, and also great for busy weeknights, take-along lunches, meal prep, etc.
This salad is easy to assemble, but is packed with flavor.
First, the fresh and colorful chopped salad is tossed with a homemade vegan ranch dressing. (Or simply use your own favorite ranch dressing).
Then it is topped off with tender, warm chickpeas simmered in BBQ sauce.
We usually have a little dressing left over but that is a huge bonus because I enjoy using it on other salads or as a veggie dip.
BBQ Chickpea Salad with Avocado Ranch
For the Salad:
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 large head romaine
- 1 cup cooked sweet corn (canned, frozen, or cooked fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2-3 green onions
For the Avocado Ranch:
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup almond or soy milk (plain & unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic (I use 2)
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Optional: fresh chives are wonderful as well
- Make the dressing: in a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer chickpeas in BBQ sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Feel free to add a splash of vegetable broth or water to help slightly thin if desired.)
- Meanwhile, chop the romaine, tomatoes, and green onion. Place in a bowl. Add corn and carrots. Toss to combine.
- When ready to assemble, distribute the salad into bowls, toss with desired amount of dressing, and top with BBQ chickpeas.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this BBQ Chickpea Salad, also check out: