This satisfying vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili recipe is easy to make and full of rich, cozy flavors. It is our family's favorite chili! (Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.)
This cozy vegan chili combines creamy sweet potatoes and two types of hearty beans. Then it is spiced with warm, comforting flavors.
It is a family favorite recipe in our house! We love to simmer up a pot on the stove top for a satisfying, nourishing meal.
Plus it's filled with plant-based protein and fiber, and no cholesterol. (Cholesterol is only found in animal-based foods. No cholesterol is found in plant-based foods.)
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Chili
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Sweet potato: Or try butternut squash for a different variation.
- Black beans: Beans are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber.
- Pinto beans: Or simply use another can of black beans or red kidney beans.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Use fire-roasted (either mild or medium) if desired.
- Vegetable broth
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
Make it meaty: Add your favorite vegan ground beef crumbles during cooking if desired.
Make it spicy: This chili is mild as written (if using mild chili powder), so spice it up to taste with cayenne pepper, jalapeno, hot sauce, or chipotle in adobo sauce.
Enjoy this chili as is, or garnish your bowl with added flavors such as:
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onion
- Hot sauce
- Crumbled tortilla chips
- Vegan cheese shreds
- Vegan sour cream
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa
We like it best served with avocado chunks and about a tablespoon of fresh cilantro.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I'd guess it'd be great as a freezer meal. Be sure to let it cool completely, then place in a tightly sealed freezer-safe container for 1-2 months.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans (or kidney, black, etc.)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, tortilla chips, etc.
- Dice onion. Peel and dice sweet potato. Mince garlic.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and sweet potato cubes. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste and add any desired toppings. (Avocado is my favorite.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili recipe, also check out: