This wonderfully satisfying Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is easy to make and full of rich, cozy flavors. It's our family's favorite chili! (Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.)
This cozy vegan chili combines creamy sweet potatoes and two types of hearty beans. Then it's spiced with warm, comforting flavors.
The result is so satisfying, nourishing, and simple to make. It's a family favorite recipe in our house!
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Chili
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Sweet potato: Or try butternut squash for a different variation.
- Black beans
- Pinto beans: Or simply use another can of black beans.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Use fire-roasted if desired.
- Vegetable broth
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
This chili is mild as written (if using mild chili powder), so spice it up as desired with cayenne, hot sauce, or chipotle.
How to Serve
Some ideas for toppings include:
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onion
- Hot sauce
- Crumbled tortilla chips
- Vegan cheese shreds
- Vegan sour cream
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa
We like it best served with avocado chunks and fresh cilantro.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can pinto beans (or kidney, black, etc.)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder (I use mild)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, vegan sour cream, tortilla chips, etc.
- Dice onion. Peel and dice sweet potato. Mince garlic.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and sweet potato cubes. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste and add any desired toppings. (Avocado is my favorite.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)