Nutrient-packed Vegan Red Lentil Stew with sweet potatoes and smoked paprika! It is only 9 healthy ingredients and wonderfully satisfying.
Lentils are amazing. They are nutrient-packed, inexpensive, and simple to cook.
Red lentils in particular are especially high in protein. Just one dry cup has about 50 grams.
This simple recipe is similar to my Lentil Spinach Soup, but with the addition of sweet potato and red lentils instead of brown lentils.
When red lentils are cooked, they turn into a softer, thicker, stew-like consistency which is perfect for this cozy dish.
Ingredients for Red Lentil Stew
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Sweet potato
- Canned diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted.
- Red lentils
- Vegetable broth
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Spinach or other greens (optional)
Change it up with your own favorite vegetables or what you have on hand (such as bell peppers, celery, zucchini, etc.)
Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils (uncooked)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 2 cups water)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup spinach (or other greens) to stir in at the end
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more liquid as necessary.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. Peel and dice sweet potato.
- When onion is translucent, add cumin, paprika, and minced garlic. Stir and sauté 1 minute, adding a touch more liquid if it dries out.
- Add sweet potato to stockpot. Stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Rinse and drain lentils well, then add to pot. Stir.
- Bring to a light boil, then cover, and reduce heat to med-low.
- Lightly simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add roughly chopped spinach (or other greens of choice) during last couple minutes of cooking if desired. Salt/pepper to taste before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Red Lentil Sweet Potato Stew, also feel free to check out: