Easy, healthy Lentil Spinach Soup spiked with flavorful cumin and smoked paprika! A nutrient-dense plant-based meal and also freezer-friendly.
This simple Lentil Spinach Soup is made with budget-friendly ingredients, plus it's so thick, hearty, and satisfying.
I enjoy soup all year long, but especially in the winter when I can cozy up to a warm, nourishing bowl by the fire.
This recipe is one of our favorites (along with the Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili).
Ingredients for Lentil Spinach Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Green/brown lentils
- Canned diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted if desired.
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh baby spinach
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
This easy soup is hearty and flavorful enough for meat-lovers, but is vegan and so delicious.
Plus it is spiked with two of my favorite spices: cumin and smoked paprika. I love that it is so simple but also nutrient-dense.
Lentils are a great, healthy option, packed with fiber, protein, and iron.
If you like preparing freezer meals, this is a great choice to stash away.
Lentil Spinach Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for oil-free sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to stockpot. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and lentils (rinsed and drained). Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop spinach. Add spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste. (Or add a dash of hot sauce before serving.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Lentil Spinach Soup, also check out: