An ultra-cozy vegan Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup that will warm you from the inside out! Fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika add a double dose of smokiness to this simple, satisfying meal. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
This Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup warms and soothes my soul.
It combines a double dose of two smoky flavors: fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika.
You could also add chipotle if you are feeling extra smoky and don't mind the heat.
Plus it has lots of plant-based protein and fiber, and is easy to make with only 7 simple ingredients.
Ingredients for Tomato Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion if needed.
- Fresh garlic cloves: I like the taste of fresh garlic but you can substitute with 1-2 teaspoons dried garlic powder if desired.
- Smoked paprika: This adds such a nice, smoky richness to the broth.
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes: Either one 28 oz. can, or two 15 oz. cans.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
- Green lentils or brown lentils: I love the earthy taste of green or brown lentils in this recipe. I have not tried it with red lentils or black lentils, but I'm guessing they could work too.
- Fresh baby spinach: Or substitute kale or other greens.
Make it spicy: Add chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, jalapeno, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste.
Vegetables: Change it up with your favorite veggies. Add kale, zucchini, summer squash, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, potato, cauliflower, etc.
Herbs + spices: Adjust the flavors as you see fit. Try curry powder, ground cumin, cilantro, basil, thyme, Italian seasonings, etc.
Grains + beans: Before serving, stir in some cooked brown rice, quinoa, or white beans if desired.
Garnish: You can also top your bowl with fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro for garnish.
Acidity: Squeeze a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice on top for brightness and acidity.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days. It's great for meal prep and take-along lunches to reheat in the microwave.
Freezing note: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I'm guessing it would work very well as a freezer meal! Just be sure to let it completely cool before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
For more inspiration, also browse all lentil recipes or vegan soup recipes.
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or up to 2 tsp.)
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Rinse lentils add add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this smoky vegan lentil soup with tomato recipe, also check out:
- Loaded Veggie and Black Bean Quesadilla
- Kidney Bean Spinach Orzo Soup
- Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Orzo Soup with Spinach
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Thank you for the easy, delicious, nutritious recipe!
My pleasure - thrilled to hear you enjoyed!
This is one of my favorites! Dreary gray (winter in fall!) day and I'm sick, unfortunately. I'm hoping the spices open up my sinuses. I do have a very spicy palate, so I always add chipotle chili's in Adobo sauce, along with the sauce. Super comforting right now, and even though it's sad to have to make your own soup while sick, it helped relieve my congestion by standing on my feet for the short time to make this. Hope to make it many more times this winter (and hopefully healthy). Love all your recipes!
Your sweet notes always make me smile. Really appreciate your kind words (and recipe rating - thank you!) Such a bummer to hear you've been under the weather. Hopefully this soup helped begin to turn things around. And I love that you add chipotles in adobo for some extra smokiness! Sending happy, healing vibes your way - take care of yourself and feel better soon! -Kaitlin
Thanks for this great recipe! Added a couple of splashes of sherry vinegar and some Beyond Meat plant-based sausage. So perfect and nourishing, even on a summer evening!
Love your additions of vinegar and Beyond sausage - smart! Thanks so much for sharing!
I just saw this on Instagram and decided to make it tonight. This taste amazing and I have a whole pot to myself.
That's so great! Thank you for sharing!
I have never been a big fan of lentil soup, but I certainly am going to try your recipe. It looks divine!
I loved this recipe! I added crushed red pepper flakes and for my husband shredded chicken!
Thanks for sharing!