An ultra-cozy vegan Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup that will warm you from the inside out! Fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika add a double dose of smokiness to this simple, satisfying meal. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
This Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup warms and soothes my soul.
It combines a double dose of two smoky flavors: fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika.
You could also add chipotle if you are feeling extra smoky and don't mind the heat.
Plus it has lots of plant-based protein and fiber, and is easy to make with only 7 simple ingredients.
Ingredients for Tomato Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute with 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika: This adds such a nice, smoky richness to the broth.
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes: Either one 28 oz. can, or two 15 oz. cans.
- Vegetable broth
- Green lentils or brown lentils: I love the earthy taste of green or brown lentils in this recipe. I have not tried it with red lentils or black lentils, but I'm guessing they could work too.
- Fresh baby spinach: Or substitute kale or other greens.
This is also a great recipe to customize to your taste:
- Make it spicy: Add chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, jalapeno, or red pepper flakes. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste.
- Vegetables: Change it up with your favorite veggies. Add kale, zucchini, summer squash, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, potato, cauliflower, etc.
- Herbs + spices: Change up the flavors as you see fit. Try curry powder, ground cumin, cilantro, basil, thyme, Italian seasonings, etc.
Before serving, stir in some cooked brown rice, quinoa, or white beans if desired.
You can also top your bowl with fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro for garnish.
Or squeeze a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice for brightness and acidity.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days.
It's also a great option for meal prep and take-along lunches to reheat in the microwave.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I'm guessing it would do very well as a freezer meal.
For more inspiration, also browse all lentil recipes.
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or up to 2 tsp.)
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Rinse lentils add add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this smoky vegan lentil soup with tomato, also check out:
- Loaded Veggie and Black Bean Quesadilla
- Kidney Bean Spinach Orzo Soup
- Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Orzo Soup with Spinach