An ultra-cozy vegan Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup that will warm you from the inside out! Fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika add a double dose of smokiness to this simple, satisfying meal. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
This Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup warms and soothes my soul.
It combines a double dose of two smoky flavors: fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika.
You could also add chipotle if you are feeling extra smoky and don't mind the heat.
Plus it has lots of plant-based protein and fiber, and is easy to make with only 7 simple ingredients.
Ingredients for Tomato Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion if needed.
- Fresh garlic cloves: I like the taste of fresh garlic but you can substitute with 1-2 teaspoons dried garlic powder if desired.
- Smoked paprika: This adds such a nice, smoky richness to the broth.
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes: Either one 28 oz. can, or two 15 oz. cans.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
- Green lentils or brown lentils: I love the earthy taste of green or brown lentils in this recipe. I have not tried it with red lentils or black lentils, but I'm guessing they could work too.
- Fresh baby spinach: Or substitute kale or other greens.
Make it spicy: Add chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, jalapeno, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste.
Vegetables: Change it up with your favorite veggies. Add kale, zucchini, summer squash, red bell pepper, carrots, celery, potato, cauliflower, etc.
Herbs + spices: Adjust the flavors as you see fit. Try curry powder, ground cumin, cilantro, basil, thyme, Italian seasonings, etc.
Grains + beans: Before serving, stir in some cooked brown rice, quinoa, or white beans if desired.
Garnish: You can also top your bowl with fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro for garnish.
Acidity: Squeeze a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice on top for brightness and acidity.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days. It's great for meal prep and take-along lunches to reheat in the microwave.
Freezing note: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I'm guessing it would work very well as a freezer meal! Just be sure to let it completely cool before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or up to 2 tsp.)
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Rinse lentils add add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this smoky vegan lentil soup with tomato recipe, also check out:
- Loaded Veggie and Black Bean Quesadilla
- Kidney Bean Spinach Orzo Soup
- Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Orzo Soup with Spinach