Ultra-cozy tomato lentil soup that'll warm you from the inside out! Fire-roasted tomatoes & smoked paprika add a double dose of smokiness to this simple, satisfying meal.
This Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup warms & soothes my soul. It combines a double dose of two delicious smoky flavors - fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika. (You could even add chipotle if you're feeling extra smoky and don't mind the heat.)
I love that it comes together in just a few easy steps and only 8 simple, plant-based ingredients. I enjoy tossing in some nutrient-packed greens for good measure (and beautiful color) towards the end.
Ingredients for Tomato Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Smoked paprika
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes (canned)
- Vegetable broth
- Green/brown lentils
- Fresh baby spinach
This is a great recipe to customize to your taste. Try kale instead of spinach, add zucchini, brown rice, cooked quinoa, white beans, etc.
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or up to 2 tsp.)
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Rinse lentils add add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this soup, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)