Ultra-cozy tomato lentil soup that will warm you from the inside out! Fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika add a double dose of smokiness to this simple, satisfying meal.
This Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup warms and soothes my soul.
It combines a double dose of two delicious smoky flavors - fire-roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika. (You could also add chipotle if you are feeling extra smoky and don't mind the heat.)
Plus it comes together in just a few easy steps and only 8 simple ingredients.
We also enjoy stirring in some nutrient-packed greens towards the end.
Ingredients for Tomato Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Smoked paprika
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes (canned)
- Vegetable broth
- Green/brown lentils
- Fresh baby spinach: Or substitute kale or other greens.
This is also a great recipe to customize to your taste.
Try kale instead of spinach, add zucchini, brown rice, cooked quinoa, white beans, etc.
For more inspiration, also browse all lentil recipes.
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or up to 2 tsp.)
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Rinse lentils add add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this smoky tomato lentil soup, also check out: