This 30-minute Tomato Orzo Spinach Soup is quick to make with only 7 simple ingredients but full of flavor. An easy vegan lunch or dinner (and great even in summer topped with fresh basil!)
Sometimes simplest meals are best.
This soup is quick and easy, but full of fresh flavor and great texture from the orzo.
I'm a soup year-round kind of girl, so I think this lighter-style soup works great even in the summer.
Plus it is a great use for fresh basil. Add some before serving for bright, summery flavor!
Ingredients for Tomato Orzo Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Canned diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted.
- Orzo pasta
- Fresh baby spinach
- Vegetable broth
- Dried basil
- Fresh basil for serving (optional)
This recipe is inspired by my Orzo Salad with Spinach & Tomato.
You could even try this soup with fresh, ripe tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes if you have them.
For more inspiration, browse all orzo recipes.
Tomato Orzo Soup with Spinach
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs – oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- Salt to taste
- Recommended: fresh basil for serving
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion in 2-3 Tbsp. water/broth for about 8 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, mince garlic.
- Add garlic and dried basil. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and diced tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and bring to a light boil.
- Add orzo. Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until orzo is cooked.
- Stir in spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
- Salt to taste and serve with fresh julienned basil if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Tomato Orzo Spinach Soup, also to check out: