An easy vegan Lentil Vegetable Soup recipe that's cozy, warm, and nourishing. Plus it's only 10 ingredients and easily customizable with your own favorite veggies! (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This simple lentil soup is filled with plant-based nutrients, protein, and fiber.
Plus it's flexible with other seasonal vegetables or whatever you have on hand. Follow the recipe below or swap in your own favorites!
My daughter even loves sprinkling garbanzo beans in her bowl before serving.
It's a great choice for meal prep or leftovers throughout the week because it stores and reheats wonderfully.
Ingredients for Lentil Vegetable Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or use white onion or sweet onion.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or you can substitute dried garlic powder if desired.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini mushrooms, but any variety will work. White button, shiitake, portobello, oyster mushrooms, etc.
- Zucchini: Or you can use a yellow summer squash instead if you'd like.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Either regular, petite diced, or fire-roasted tomatoes work well.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Green lentils or brown lentils: I like the earthy taste of green/brown lentils with this recipe, but you could also try red lentils, French lentils, or black lentils.
- Dried basil: Or other herbs of choice to change up the flavor.
- Fresh baby spinach: Or stir in fresh kale to the pot towards the end of cook time.
Garnish: You can also top your bowl with a tablespoon of fresh parsley or squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving!
Veggies: Add other vegetables like celery, green peas, sweet corn, bell pepper, green beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.
Herbs + spices: Change up the flavor with ground cumin, smoked paprika, Italian seasonings, thyme, oregano, etc.
Make it spicy: Add a small can of medium green chiles, cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo, or medium fire-roasted tomatoes. Or simply add your favorite hot sauce to taste before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I'm guessing it would work great. Just be sure to let the soup cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container. Then enjoy within 1-2 months.
Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 zucchini
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs of choice)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion. Sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. Dice zucchini and carrot. Slice mushrooms.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, and dried basil. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice and vegetable broth*.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Rinse and drain lentils. Add lentils to pot and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover, and lightly simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. (Add more broth or water if desired.)
- Roughly chop spinach and stir in during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt to taste. (Serve with fresh chopped parsley, basil, or cilantro if desired.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan vegetable lentil soup recipe, also check out:
- Portobello Mushroom & Potato Stew with Lentils
- Rustic Lentil and Potato Soup
- Easy Vegan Lasagna with Chickpea Ricotta
- Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup