Easy Lentil Vegetable Soup that's cozy, warming, and nutrient-packed! Only 10 ingredients and also customizable. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This simple Lentil Vegetable Soup is packed with plant-based nutrients and hearty lentils.
Plus it is wonderfully customizable.
Follow the recipe below or swap in your own favorite vegetables and additions. My daughter even loves sprinkling garbanzo beans in her bowl.
Ingredients for Lentil Vegetable Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Mushroom: I use cremini, but any variety will work.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Or fire-roasted.
- Vegetable broth
- Green/brown lentils
- Dried basil: Or other herbs of choice.
- Fresh baby spinach
This recipe is a similar to my beloved Lentil Spinach Soup but with a wider variety of vegetables and a different flavor profile.
It is a great meal to make for meal prep or quick and easy leftovers throughout the week because it stores and reheats beautifully.
Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 zucchini
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs of choice)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion. Sauté for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method. Simply add a touch more liquid if the pan dries out & the onion starts to stick.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. Dice zucchini and carrot. Slice mushrooms.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, and dried basil. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice and vegetable broth*.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Rinse and drain lentils. Add lentils to pot and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover, and lightly simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. (Add more broth or water if desired.)
- Roughly chop spinach and stir in during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt to taste. (Serve with fresh chopped parsley, basil, or cilantro if desired.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this soup, also feel free to check out: