A vegan Broccoli Potato Soup recipe made with just 7 simple, healthy ingredients! Easy to make, rich and creamy (without the butter or cream), and so comforting. (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This vegan Broccoli Potato Soup reminds me of a healthy "cream of broccoli" soup.
It's made with just 7 simple ingredients, and no butter, heavy cream, flour, or oil.
Instead, we use gold potato to create the creamy broth. Then add nutritional yeast for a rich "cheesy" flavor.
The result is delicious, nourishing, and wholesome.
Ingredients for Broccoli Potato Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot and then blend:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder.
- Potato: Yukon gold potatoes work best for this recipe. They have a naturally buttery flavor and smooth texture. I buy organic potatoes when possible and leave the peel/skin on to retain the most nutrients and vitamins. But if you purchase conventionally grown potatoes (not organically grown) then I recommend peeling the skins to remove any pesticide residues or other potential treatments like dye or wax.
- Broccoli: For this recipe, I prefer the convenience and ease of frozen broccoli florets. (I use "Cascadian Farm" organic brand.) Oftentimes, frozen broccoli can actually be more nutrient-dense than fresh broccoli. It's harvested at peak freshness and then typically flash frozen within a day which helps preserve the nutritional value. However, fresh broccoli can absolutely work with this recipe too.
- Vegetable broth: Use low-sodium if desired.
- Plant milk: Be sure to use plain and unsweetened. Any dairy-free milk should work just fine. I use homemade cashew milk, but you can use soy milk, almond milk, etc.
- Nutritional yeast: This gives the broth a savory, cheesy flavor. It also adds delicious richness and creaminess, and contains a good source of protein.
Enjoy dill? Fresh dill is also an optional (but recommended!) addition.
I use an immersion blender to blend this soup before serving. (They are wonderfully convenient for soups!) Blend as much or as little as you would like. Leave it slightly chunky by only blending about half, or continue blending for a smoother texture.
If you don't have an immersion blender: Simply blend your soup in batches in a blender. Just be sure to use extreme caution with hot foods in the blender. You may want to let it slightly cool before transferring and blending.
Change up this creamy vegan broccoli soup however you see fit. A few ideas include:
Flavors: Stir in tamari (or soy sauce) for extra umami taste, smoked paprika for a smoky flavor, a dash of ground nutmeg, red pepper flakes, roasted garlic, Dijon mustard, or simply salt/pepper to taste.
Vegetables: Add other veggies such as celery, carrot, leeks, shallot, fresh baby spinach, etc.
Extra cheesy: The nutritional yeast creates a savory, cheesy flavor. But if you'd like it extra cheesy then stir in vegan cheese towards the end of cook time.
Garnish your bowl with toppings before serving if desired. A few suggestions include:
- Chives or green onion
- Fresh dill
- Dairy-free cheddar cheese shreds
- Vegan bacon crumbles
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Hot sauce to taste
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 4-5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic (or 2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 lb. gold potatoes (about 2 medium/large)
- 14 oz. frozen broccoli florets (about 4-5 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant milk (plain + unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh dill (optional)
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice potato.
- When onion is softened, add garlic. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add potato, broccoli, broth, milk, and nutritional yeast. Stir and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add fresh dill (if using). Then blend soup with an immersion blender.* Blend as much or as little as you prefer to desired texture. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this healthy vegan broccoli potato soup recipe, also check out: