An easy vegan Lentil and Cabbage Soup recipe that can be made with brown lentils, black lentils, or red lentils! Filled with nourishing ingredients and plant-based protein and fiber. (Gluten-free + oil-free.)
This Lentil Cabbage Soup is warm and satisfying, plus simple to prepare.
It is made with nourishing ingredients with a great source of plant-based nutrients, protein, and fiber.
Plus you can choose your own lentils! I find red lentils, green/brown lentils, or black lentils all work well with this recipe.
Ingredients for Lentil Cabbage Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute with dried garlic powder.
- Green cabbage: You will need about 1 small head, or half of a medium/large cabbage head for this recipe. (Or you can use Savoy cabbage.)
- Fire-roasted tomatoes: I like the flavor of fire-roasted tomatoes best, but if you can't find them, simply substitute with regular canned diced tomatoes. Crushed tomatoes could also work.
- Vegetable broth
- Lentils: Either red lentils, brown lentils, green lentils, or black lentils will all work. The flavor and texture will vary slightly between the varieties. Brown/green lentils and black lentils hold their shape well and have a slightly earthy taste. Red lentils don't hold their shape and therefore have a soft, stew-like consistency after they boil.
- Green beans: I use frozen cut green beans, but you can use fresh if you'd like.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Italian seasoning: Or other seasonings of choice. (See below for options.)
Change up the flavor as you see fit. A few ideas include:
Herbs + seasonings: Instead of Italian seasonings, try ground cumin, smoked paprika or sweet paprika, dried basil, dried oregano, or bay leaf (remove the leaves before serving).
Vegetables: Add other veggies such as celery, cauliflower, red bell pepper, fresh baby spinach, kale (large stems removed), broccoli, mushroom, potato, etc.
Make it spicy: Stir in medium diced green chiles, jalapeno, red pepper flakes, chipotle in adobo sauce, or cayenne pepper. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste before serving.
Make it meaty: Add your favorite vegan beef crumbles to this recipe. I suggest cooking them separately according to package instructions, and then stirring them in before serving.
Tomatoes: For a thicker, richer broth, stir in a tablespoon or two of tomato paste.
Fresh herbs: Garnish your bowl with herbs such as flat leaf parsley or cilantro before serving.
You could also add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, black pepper, or tamari/soy sauce for salty, umami flavor.
It's great served with a simple salad or whole grain bread on the side.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for 4-5 days. So it's a great meal to enjoy throughout the week.
Make it ahead for meal prep, take-along lunches, or a quick dinner. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Instant Pot note: I have not tested this in the pressure cooker, but I'm guessing it would work well. I'd suggest sautéing the onion and carrot first. Then add the remaining ingredients, seal the lid, and pressure cook on high pressure for about 10 minutes. (Reserve the apple cider vinegar to stir in after cooking.)
Lentil Cabbage Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 carrots
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. green cabbage (about 6 cups chopped)
- 28 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (or regular diced)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup lentils (red, brown/green, or black)
- 1 cup cut green beans (I use frozen)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning*
- Dice onion and carrot. Mince garlic.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, chop cabbage and set aside.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Then add cabbage, diced tomatoes, and broth. Rinse lentils and add to pot.
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes. (Or until lentils + cabbage are tender.)
- Stir in green beans and apple cider vinegar during the last 5 minutes of cook time. Salt/pepper to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan red lentil cabbage soup recipe, also check out: