Snuggle up with a warm bowl of this flavorful Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup! It's easy to prepare, protein-rich, and made with such nourishing, plant-based ingredients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Coconut Lentil Soup recipe is filled with so much warm, comforting flavor!
It's become a wintertime favorite in our house because of the tasty flavors and ease of assembly.
Plus it's filled with satisfying plant-based protein and fiber. I love to simmer up a pot on chilly days when we need a little extra coziness and wholesome nourishment.
Ingredients for Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use white onion or sweet onion instead.
- Garlic cloves: I like the taste of fresh garlic cloves, but you can substitute garlic powder if desired.
- Fresh ginger
- Curry powder: Most often I use mild curry powder from "Simply Organic" brand or whatever is in the bulk bins at our local co-op.
- Coconut milk: This adds so much richness and creaminess to the broth. I use a can of regular, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Canned diced tomatoes: You can either use regular diced tomatoes, petite diced, or fire-roasted.
- Red lentils: The texture of red split lentils works great with this recipe because they turn into a stew-like, tender consistency when you boil them. (I have not tested this with green/brown lentils or black lentils.)
- Lacinato/dinosaur kale: Or also substitute fresh baby spinach.
Other spices: You can also stir in other seasoning such as ground cumin or red curry paste.
Vegetables: Add other veggies such as carrots or sweet potatoes.
Make it spicy: This recipe has a gentle spice from the curry powder, but you can heat it up even more if you wish. Add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste.
Top your bowl with optional garnish for added taste, texture, and flavor:
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- A dollop of vegan yogurt (plain and unsweetened)
Tip: You can also serve this dish with naan or pita bread which is great for dipping in the golden broth!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I find they keep for about 4-5 days. Then simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder (I use mild)
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular, unsweetened)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite diced, crushed, etc.)
- 1 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups lacinato kale (or spinach)
- Fresh lemon/lime juice, cilantro, cashews, vegan yogurt (plain & unsweetened)
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and grate ginger.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, broth, and red lentils (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add roughly chopped kale during the last 5 minutes of cook time. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this coconut curry red lentil soup and are looking for more curry-spiced inspiration, also check out: