Snuggle up with this warmly flavorful Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup! It is easy to make, great for chilly days, and made with nourishing ingredients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Coconut Lentil Soup recipe is filled with warm, comforting flavor.
This recipe has become a wintertime favorite in our house because of the tasty flavors and ease of assembly.
Plus it is filled with satisfying plant-based protein and fiber.
We simmer up a pot on chilly days when we need a little extra coziness and wholesome nourishment.
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh ginger
- Curry powder: I use mild.
- Coconut milk: Regular and unsweetened.
- Vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes: Either regular diced tomatoes, petite diced, or fire-roasted.
- Red lentils: The texture of red split lentils works great with this recipe because they turn into a stew-like, tender consistency when you boil them. (I have not tested this with green/brown lentils or black lentils.)
- Lacinato/dinosaur kale: Or also substitute fresh baby spinach.
Adapt this simple recipe as you see fit. A few ideas include:
- Other spices: You can also stir in other spices such as cumin or red curry paste.
- Vegetables: Add other veggies such as carrots or sweet potatoes.
- Spicy: To make it spicy, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste.
Top your bowl with optional garnish for added taste, flavor, and texture:
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Or swirl in some vegan yogurt (plain and unsweetened)
You can also serve this dish with naan or pita bread which is great for dipping in the golden broth.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 4-5 days. Then simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan comfort food recipes.
Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder (I use mild)
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular, unsweetened)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite diced, crushed, etc.)
- 1 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups lacinato kale (or spinach)
Optional (for serving):
- Fresh lemon/lime juice, cilantro, cashews, vegan yogurt (plain & unsweetened)
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and grate ginger.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, broth, and red lentils (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add roughly chopped kale (or spinach) during the last 5 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this coconut curry lentil soup and are looking for more curry-spiced inspiration, also check out: