Snuggle up with this warmly flavorful Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup! It is easy to make, great for chilly days, and made with nourishing ingredients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Coconut Lentil Soup is filled with warm, comforting flavor and is so wonderfully satisfying.
It is great for chilly days when you need a little extra coziness and nourishment.
This recipe has become a wintertime favorite in our household because of the tasty flavors and ease of assembly.
Ingredients for Coconut Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Curry powder: I use mild.
- Coconut milk: Regular and unsweetened.
- Vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Red lentils
- Lacinato/dinosaur kale: Or substitute spinach.
- For serving (optional): Fresh lemon or lime juice, cilantro, cashews, or vegan yogurt.
You can also serve this with naan or pita bread if desired which is great for dipping in the golden broth.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan comfort food recipes.
Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder (I use mild)
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular, unsweetened)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite diced, crushed, etc.)
- 1 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups lacinato kale (or spinach)
Optional (for serving):
- Fresh lemon/lime juice, cilantro, cashews, vegan yogurt (plain & unsweetened)
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and grate ginger.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, broth, and red lentils (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add roughly chopped kale (or spinach) during the last 5 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this coconut red lentil soup and are looking for more curry-flavored inspiration, also check out: