Snuggle up with this warmly flavorful Coconut Lentil Soup! It's easy to make, perfect for chilly days, and made with nourishing ingredients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Coconut Lentil Soup is packed with warm, comforting flavor and is so wonderfully satisfying. It's great for chilly days when you need a little extra coziness and nourishment.
This recipe has become a wintertime favorite in our household because of the tasty flavors and ease of assembly.
Ingredients for Coconut Lentil Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Curry powder: I use mild.
- Coconut milk: Regular and unsweetened.
- Vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Red lentils
- Lacinato/dinosaur kale: Or substitute spinach.
- For serving (optional): Fresh lemon/lime juice, cilantro, cashews, or vegan yogurt.
You can also serve with naan or pita bread if desired which is great for dunking in the golden broth.
Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder (I use mild)
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular, unsweetened)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or petite diced, crushed, etc.)
- 1 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2-3 cups lacinato kale (or spinach)
Optional (for serving):
- Fresh lemon/lime juice, cilantro, cashews, vegan yogurt (plain & unsweetened)
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over med-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and grate ginger.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, broth, and red lentils (rinsed and drained).
- Bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add roughly chopped kale (or spinach) during the last 5 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more curry-flavored recipe inspiration, also see:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated - thank you!)