A curried rice salad with flavorful orange-curry dressing and crunchy pistachios. Delicious side dish for picnics, potlucks, and make-ahead meals. Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free plus it is done in the time it takes the rice to cook!
This tasty Curried Rice Salad with Orange combines flavorful curry powder with bright citrus.
It is simple to make, and also only requires 9 ingredients. (It's basically done in the time it takes your rice to cook.)
Plus it is a great dish to make ahead for picnics, potlucks, take-along lunches, etc.
Ingredients for Orange Rice Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: I use brown jasmine or basmati rice.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Currants: I use Zante currants. Or you can also substitute raisins.
- Fresh cilantro: Or fresh parsley.
- Pistachios (shelled)
- Curry powder
- Pure maple syrup
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned.
The currants and cilantro can be also replaced with parsley and raisins, depending on your taste and what's available.
For more inspiration, also browse all gluten-free recipes.
Curried Orange Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice (I use jasmine)
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 cup currants (or raisins)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled (more if desired)
For the orange-curry dressing:
- Juice from 1 orange (about 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder* (I use Simply Organic brand)
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Rinse and cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions and roughly chop cilantro, stems removed. Place in a medium-large mixing bowl with currants and pistachios.
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, squeeze the juice from the orange (I use about 1/3 cup juice). Add the curry powder, maple syrup, rice vinegar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- When rice is done cooking, add to bowl with cilantro, green onions, currants, and pistachios.
- Pour dressing over top and stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Can serve immediately or refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors mellow and combine further.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this orange rice salad, also check out: