These easy Indian-inspired "Butter Chickpeas" are a healthier, vegan version of classic Butter Chicken. (But made with whole food, plant-based ingredients!) The sauce is ultra-creamy and so satisfying. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These Indian-inspired Butter Chickpeas are so satisfying and creamy.
Plus it only takes 30 minutes to make!
Hearty chickpeas swim in a rich, velvety sauce. It is packed with warm, savory flavor.
It is also pleasantly filling. We enjoy these butter chickpeas served with cooked brown rice and crushed cashews on top.
Making Butter Chickpeas
Butter Chicken is a popular Indian dish that was developed in the 1950s. Traditionally, the sauce is made with tomato, onion, curry, and butter.
However we eliminate the dairy butter in this vegan version. The richness is achieved with coconut milk and peanut butter. It is so luscious and creamy!
The sauce is also very forgiving. So add any "accent" seasonings you enjoy.
Cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, garam masala, and also chili powder are all great.
For more inspiration, also browse all chickpea recipes.
Vegan Butter Chickpeas
- 1 yellow onion (or white or sweet)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (regular, unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (creamy, natural)
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/3 Tbsp. curry powder (1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder*
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- Cooked brown rice (and/or flatbread), cashews, cilantro for garnish
- Begin cooking your rice, or prepare it ahead of time so it's ready to go.
- Dice onion.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- When onion is softened, add the curry powder (more/less as desired), garlic powder, and smoked paprika (or other seasonings of choice*). Stir and heat for 1 minute, adding a touch more liquid if necessary.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Add chickpeas and diced tomatoes (with juice) to skillet. Stir and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully add coconut milk, peanut butter, and tomato paste. Stir until well combined.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally as the sauce thickens.
- Before serving, stir in the tamari. (Taste and add more, or salt to taste as desired).
- Serve warm over brown rice, topped with cashews (recommended!) and fresh cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these Butter Chickpeas, also check out: