This healthy Curried Chickpea Salad recipe is a delicious vegan version of curried chicken salad! Enjoy the versatility in a sandwich, wrap, on fresh greens, or cracker dip! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy Curried Chickpea Salad is so delicious and protein-rich. It's my veganized version of the classic curried chicken salad... but made with all plant-based ingredients!
I love the contrasting flavors and textures. Earthy and warm, with a hint of sweetness. Creamy and nourishing, with a bite of crunch. It's delightful!
Plus it's a great healthy lunch or meal prep that's super versatile. Use it on sandwiches, wraps, or a bed of fresh lettuce and greens. Or try it as a dip with crackers, an appetizer, or snack. Or simply just scoop it up with a spoon!
Ingredients for Curried Chickpea Salad
For this recipe, you'll stir together in a large bowl:
- Chickpeas: Also called garbanzo beans. You'll need one 15-ounce can of chickpeas. We'll rinse and drain the beans before mashing them. (I use a potato masher for easy mashing, but you can use a fork if needed.)
- Vegan mayonnaise: I use my homemade oil-free Cashew Mayo recipe. It's deliciously creamy, tangy, and rich! But you can use your own favorite version or store-bought vegan mayo instead.
- Celery: This provides refreshing texture and great flavor to the chickpea mix. I love the fresh crunch!
- Red onion: Or you can substitute green onion for a milder flavor, but I enjoy the bold taste of red onion in this salad.
- Lime juice: We'll use one tablespoon freshly squeezed, which is about a half lime. You can also substitute lemon juice if needed.
- Curry powder: This is a robust spice blend that's warm and earthy. It's commonly made from ingredients like coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, cardamom, cinnamon, and chili peppers. The particular blend of spices can vary from brand to brand, along with the level of spiciness. (Currently I use the Simply Organic brand.)
- Dijon mustard: Or substitute regular mustard or stoneground.
- Fresh cilantro: Omit this if you don't care for the taste of cilantro, or replace with parsley.
- Raisins: The tender sweetness of raisins pairs wonderfully with the other flavors in this dish. If you have fresh red grapes, these are spectacular as well! Simply dice them up and include them with the raisins (or in place of them).
Flavors: Add diced apple, fresh dill, pickle relish, more curry powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste, dried cranberries, or a drizzle of pure maple syrup for added sweetness.
Nuts & veggies: Add crisp red bell peppers (finely diced), cashews, sunflower seeds, or even pistachios.
Sandwich & wrap: Spoon this chickpea salad between your favorite whole grain bread (lightly toasted) with fresh baby greens or sprouts. You can also enjoy it in a wrap, either with your favorite tortillas (gluten-free if needed) or lettuce wraps. Or try it stuffed into pita bread!
Dip: Grab your favorite crackers and dive in! This is a great option for appetizers, snacks, party platters, and beyond.
On greens & salad: Dollop this creamy salad on a bed of fresh greens or as a flavorful addition to your favorite salad.
Plain: Just get a spoon and scoop it up!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I find it keeps for about 4-5 days. (It's great made ahead of time which allows the flavors to blend and enhance even further as it sits in the fridge.)
For more healthy, delicious recipes that include curry powder, check out:
- Vegan Butter Chickpeas
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- Curried Rice Salad with Orange
- Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup
Curried Chickpea Salad (Vegan!)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup cashew mayo
- 2 ribs celery
- 3 Tbsp. red onion
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup raisins (and/or chopped red grapes)
- Rinse and drain chickpeas well. Place in a large bowl and mash. (I use a potato masher.)
- Finely dice celery and red onion. Roughly chop cilantro. Add to bowl.
- Add all remaining salad ingredients. Then stir well to combine.
- Taste and adjust flavors if needed. Add salt & pepper, more curry powder, mayo, or lime juice. (Grapes and cashews are fantastic additions!)
- Enjoy the salad as is, in a sandwich or wrap, on a bed of fresh greens, or as a dip with crackers.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this curried chickpea salad recipe, also check out: