This Chickpea Avocado Mash only takes 5 minutes to prepare, with no cooking required! It is so easy to make, healthy, and satisfying. Great as a sandwich spread, dip, or on salads. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This chickpea avocado mash is so healthy and satisfying. The best part is that it comes together in just 5 minutes!
My daughter and I have been making it for years and it is such a great lunch or after-school snack.
Plus there is no need to turn on the oven or stove which makes it a nice option in the summertime.
This recipe keeps it simple. You will only need a few ingredients:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Ripe avocado
- Fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper
But you can also customize it and include other additions such as:
- Hummus: Add 1-2 Tbsp. of hummus to make this even creamier and help bind it further.
- Fresh herbs: Dill, parsley, cilantro or basil would all be great.
- Garlic: Add a couple shakes of garlic powder for extra flavor.
I would love to hear how you make this your own, and the additions you try!
- Dip: Scoop it up with crackers, pita chips, veggies, or tortilla chips. This is a great option for snacks and appetizers.
- Sandwich: Build it in a sandwich with whole grain bread, sliced tomato, red onion, and leafy greens or sprouts.
- Wraps: Try it wither either a lettuce wrap or tortilla wrap.
- Flatbread + pita bread: Spread on flatbread for an open-faced sandwich, or stuff it inside pita bread with your favorite toppings.
- Salads: Add a dollop or two on top of your fresh salads for added oomph.
We enjoy it many ways, however my daughter and I often just grab a couple spoons and eat it right out of the bowl!
Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Stir before serving. You can also add another fresh squeeze of lemon juice to brighten it up.
This recipe does not freeze well. It is best made fresh.
For more inspiration, browse all chickpea recipes.
Chickpea Avocado Mash with Lemon
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon, or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp. hummus, a couple shakes of garlic powder, fresh herbs, etc.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and place in a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher or strong fork. (Mash thoroughly for a smoother consistency, or not as much for chunky texture.)
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit and peel. Place avocado flesh in bowl. Add lemon juice, salt/pepper, and any other desired additions.
- Mash again to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate covered for 2-3 days.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Chickpea Avocado Mash, also check out: