This "TLT sandwich" recipe is a high-protein meal made with savory marinated tempeh bacon! A delicious plant-based vegan version of the classic BLT stacked with vegan bacon, lettuce, and tomato. (Gluten-free option.)
This TLT Sandwich (tempeh-lettuce-tomato) is a vegan version of the classic BLT sandwich.
Instead of real bacon, we make savory baked tempeh bacon instead!
Thin tempeh strips are marinated in an easy, flavor-packed, 3 ingredient marinade sauce. Then baked in the oven to tender perfection.
It has great texture, plus plant-based protein, fiber, and no cholesterol. (Each sandwich has about 23 grams protein.)
Ingredients for Tempeh Sandwich
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients to bake the tempeh bacon, then assemble your sandwich:
- Tempeh: You will need an 8 ounce tempeh patty for this recipe. Some tempeh includes other grains like barley, so if you need gluten-free, be sure to check the ingredients.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. Use low sodium if desired.
- Pure maple syrup: Just a tablespoon of natural sweetness helps to balance out the savory, smoky flavors in the marinade.
- Smoked paprika: In addition to the paprika, you can also stir in a small amount of garlic powder to the marinade, or a dash of liquid smoke.
- Roma tomatoes: Or you can use regular garden tomato if desired.
- Romaine lettuce: Or substitute with fresh spinach leaves, arugula, or your own favorite salad greens.
- Bread slices: Use your own favorite loaf of bread or gluten-free bread if desired. I try to find organic whole grain bread when possible. Sourdough bread is great as well.
Tip: The sliced tempeh bacon is great for other recipes too. Try it with a classic tofu breakfast scramble, steamed vegetables, in rice bowls, or simply as a side dish or snack.
Personalize your tempeh sandwiches with your own favorite toppings! A few ideas include:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Fresh clover sprouts
- Vegan mayo: I like this oil-free Cashew Mayo or Vegan Garlic Aioli.
- Homemade Hummus
If you have any leftover tempeh bacon, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. We find it keeps for about 3-4 days.
Reheat in the microwave if you prefer it warm, or simply enjoy it cold on a sandwich.
TLT Sandwich with Tempeh Bacon
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce (or spinach, etc.)
- 6 slices of your favorite bread
- Toppings of choice: avocado, vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, sprouts, etc.
For the tempeh bacon:
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or less)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cut tempeh into small, fairly thin strips.*
- In a shallow dish, mix together the tamari, smoked paprika, and maple syrup. Add the tempeh strips. Flip to coat well, then set aside to marinate for about 10-15 minutes while your oven preheats.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place marinated tempeh strips in a single layer. Drizzle any leftover tamari mixture on top for even more flavor. (But this does make it saltier.)
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip and return to oven. Bake 10 more minutes.
- Assemble your sandwich: Layer bread, tomatoes, lettuce, tempeh bacon, and any other toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this TLT sandwich recipe with marinated tempeh bacon, also feel free to check out: