Meet the "TLT" - a satisfying, flavor-packed Vegan BLT Sandwich. A delicious veganized version of the classic BLT made with savory tempeh bacon, lettuce, and tomato.
We love this vegan version of the classic BLT sandwich. Instead of bacon, we make delicious savory tempeh bacon. Tempeh strips are marinated in an easy, flavor-packed, 3-ingredient sauce, and then baked to perfection.
Feel free to use the tempeh bacon for other recipes too. It's so versatile and tasty. It's great alongside a classic tofu breakfast scramble, steamed vegetables, in rice bowls, or simply as a side or snack.
Have fun customizing your sandwich with your own favorite toppings. I love avocado and sprouts, but feel free to spread on the more classic vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, etc.
And for more sandwich inspiration, also check out another couple of our super quick and easy favorites:
Vegan TLT Sandwich (Tempeh Lettuce Tomato)
- Sliced tomato
- Romaine or spinach
- 6 slices of your favorite bread
- Toppings of choice: avocado, vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, sprouts, etc.
For the tempeh bacon:
- 8 oz. tempeh (GF if desired)
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or less)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Cut tempeh into small strips.*
- In a shallow dish, mix together the tamari, smoked paprika, and maple syrup. Add the tempeh strips. Flip to coat well and let sit to marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place tempeh strips in single file (drizzling any leftover tamari mixture on top for even more flavor if you’d like – though it does make it saltier!)
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare your sandwich: layer bread, tomatoes, lettuce, tempeh bacon, and any other toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this TLT sandwich, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)