This "TLT sandwich" is a satisfying Vegan BLT, but made with savory tempeh bacon! A delicious plant-based version of the classic BLT stacked with vegan bacon, lettuce, and tomato.
This "TLT sandwich" is a vegan version of the classic BLT sandwich.
Instead of real bacon, we make delicious savory tempeh bacon. Tempeh strips are marinated in an easy, flavor-packed, 3 ingredient sauce, and then baked to perfection.
Note: The tempeh bacon is great for other recipes too. It is so versatile and tasty. You can try it alongside a classic tofu breakfast scramble, steamed vegetables, in rice bowls, or simply as a side or snack.
Tempeh: Some tempeh includes other grains, so if you need gluten-free, be sure to check the ingredients.
Vegan BLT Toppings
Customize your TLT sandwich with your own favorite toppings.
I enjoy creamy avocado and fresh clover sprouts.
But feel free to spread on the more classic vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, etc.
Vegan BLT Sandwich with Tempeh Bacon
- 1-2 roma tomatoes
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce (or spinach, etc.)
- 6 slices of your favorite bread
- Toppings of choice: avocado, vegan mayo, hummus, mustard, sprouts, etc.
For the tempeh bacon:
- 8 oz. tempeh (GF if desired)
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or less)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Cut tempeh into small strips.*
- In a shallow dish, mix together the tamari, smoked paprika, and maple syrup. Add the tempeh strips. Flip to coat well and let sit to marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place tempeh strips in single file (drizzling any leftover tamari mixture on top for even more flavor if you’d like – though it does make it saltier!)
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Prepare your sandwich: Layer bread, tomatoes, lettuce, tempeh bacon, and any other toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this TLT sandwich with tempeh bacon, also feel free to check out: