These easy vegan Black Bean Tempeh Tacos are a great 30 minute weeknight meal! Each hearty taco is packed with fiber and over 10 grams of plant protein.
These tempeh tacos are such a satisfying lunch or dinner!
They are quick, easy, delicious, and each taco has about 10 grams protein.
Plus everyone can personalize theirs with the toppings they love.
Crumbled tempeh is a great ground meat substitute with similar texture. (Oftentimes I use it in pasta sauce as well.)
Ingredients for Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
For this recipe you will sauté in a pan or skillet over medium heat:
- Tempeh: Some packaged tempeh includes other grains, so if you need gluten-free, be sure to check the ingredients. We will break the tempeh patty into crumbles and stir it with warm, savory flavors to create the tempeh taco meat.
- Black beans: Or you could substitute pinto beans if desired.
- Onion: Most of the time I use yellow onion, but white onion, sweet onion, or red onion works too. You could also include bell pepper if desired.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or you can use dried garlic powder instead.
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade Taco Seasoning blend with warm spices like ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, chili powder, and smoked paprika. But simply use your own favorite mixture if desired.
- Corn tortillas: Or use flour tortillas or other tortilla of choice, but I love the taste of corn tortillas. Otherwise I try to find whole grain tortillas when possible.
- Toppings of choice: See below for ideas.
Make it spicy: Stir in cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, medium diced green chiles, red pepper flakes. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Personalize these vegan tacos with your favorite toppings. A few ideas include:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Romaine lettuce and tomato
- Pico de Gallo or Fresh Garden Salsa
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast
- Vegan sour cream
- Cilantro and lime juice
Not just for tacos! Try the seasoned tempeh mixture in a rice bowl, taco salads, on nachos with tortilla chips, in burritos, and more.
Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
- 8 oz. tempeh (GF if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 6 corn tortillas
- Toppings of choice: nutritional yeast, pico de gallo, lettuce, tomato, cilantro, avocado/guacamole, etc.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning with 2-3 Tbsp. water and stir. Crumble tempeh and add to the seasoning mix. Stir well to combine and set aside to marinate for a few minutes.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté onion and seasoned tempeh for 8-10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare your toppings. (Chop lettuce, avocado, etc.)
- After onions have softened, add minced garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add black beans (rinsed and drained) and cook about 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Assemble tacos: Warm the corn tortillas if desired, add the tempeh mixture, and any toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Black Bean and Tempeh Tacos recipe, also check out: