These easy vegan Black Bean Tempeh Tacos are a great 30 minute weeknight meal! Each hearty taco is packed with fiber and over 10 grams of plant protein.
These tempeh tacos are a great choice for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
They are quick, easy, delicious, and each taco has about 10 grams protein.
Plus everyone can personalize theirs with the toppings they love.
Crumbled tempeh is a great ground meat substitute. Oftentimes, I use it in pasta sauce, but it is awesome in a variety of other dishes as well, like these hearty tacos.
Ingredients for Tempeh Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Tempeh: Some packaged tempeh includes other grains, so if you need gluten-free, be sure to check the ingredients.
- Black beans: Or you could substitute pinto beans if desired.
- Garlic cloves
- Taco seasoning
- Corn tortillas: Or other tortilla of choice, but I love the taste of corn tortillas.
- Toppings of choice: See below for ideas.
How to Serve
Personalize these tacos with your favorite toppings such as:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Romaine lettuce
- Pico de Gallo
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce
Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
- 8 oz. tempeh (GF if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 6 corn tortillas
- Toppings of choice: nutritional yeast, pico de gallo, lettuce, tomato, cilantro, avocado/guacamole, etc.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning with 2-3 Tbsp. water and stir. Crumble tempeh and add to the seasoning mix. Stir well to combine and set aside to marinate for a few minutes.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté onion and seasoned tempeh for 8-10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare your toppings. (Chop lettuce, avocado, etc.)
- After onions have softened, add minced garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add black beans (rinsed and drained) and cook about 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Assemble tacos: Warm the corn tortillas if desired, add the tempeh mixture, and any toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan Black Bean and Tempeh Tacos, also check out: