A hearty vegan breakfast scramble that combines tofu with black beans, tomato, cilantro, and southwest-inspired flavors. Satisfying and protein-packed! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This vegan breakfast scramble is so simple and incredibly satisfying. Black beans and tofu combine for a hearty protein-filled base.
Then we add fresh tomato, cilantro, onion, garlic, and southwest-inspired spices for lots of flavor.
It is great topped with avocado and salsa (such as this fresh pico de gallo or restaurant style blender salsa) before serving.
This recipe is adapted from my Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato (pictured below). But with a southwest-style flare!
We also enjoy spooning it in tortillas for a hearty breakfast burrito. It is a versatile recipe so change it up with the veggies and spices you prefer!
Like yours spicy? You can also kick it up with jalapeno, cayenne pepper, chipotle, or hot sauce if you would like.
For more inspiration, also browse all 30 minute recipes.
Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt to taste
- Avocado slices, salsa, pico de gallo, hot sauce, etc.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble tofu and dice tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds. Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water, and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Add beans (start with half the can and add more as you desire).
- Add cilantro and cook another 3 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Serve with avocado and/or salsa if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Southwest Tofu Scramble, also feel free to check out:
- Creamy Banana Matcha Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Vanilla Almond Overnight Oats
- How to Whisk a Bowl of Matcha