Satisfying and easy Tofu Scramble with fresh spinach and tomato! This dish is great served with homestyle potatoes, on bagels or toast, in burritos, etc.
This tofu scramble is my go-to breakfast on the weekends because it is so tasty and hearty.
It is a great plant-based replacement for traditional omelets and scrambled eggs.
Plus it leaves me feeling pleasantly satisfied for hours because of how protein-packed and flavorful it is.
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble
For this recipe you will need:
- Extra-firm tofu: Or other firmness of choice.
- Roma tomatoes: Or substitute cherry or grape for a bolder, sweeter tomato flavor.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Ground turmeric: This gives it a slight yellow color.
- Nutritional yeast: This provides a nice "cheesy" savory flavor.
Change up the spices as desired, however! I enjoy cumin and smoked paprika so that is what I use.
- Enjoy it as a breakfast burrito or taco filling
- Scoop it on toasted bread or bagels for a sandwich
- Serve it as a breakfast-for-dinner meal
- Try it alongside Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes
Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric (more as desired)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup baby spinach (or more)
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth to sauté for no-oil method.)
- Meanwhile, remove some of the excess liquid from tofu. Then crumble tofu and chop tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Some may stick on the bottom but that’s normal.)
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well.
- Add spinach, stir, and cook another 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Salt to taste if needed.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this tofu scramble with spinach & tomato, also check out: