A satisfying and easy Tofu Scramble recipe with fresh spinach and tomato! Serve this dish with homestyle potatoes, on bagels or toast, in burritos, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This tofu scramble recipe is my go-to breakfast on the weekends because it's so tasty and hearty.
The texture of crumbled tofu is a great plant-based replacement for traditional omelets and scrambled eggs.
Plus it leaves me feeling pleasantly satisfied for hours because it's filled with lots of protein and veggies.
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble
For this recipe you will heat in a large skillet:
- Extra-firm tofu: I prefer an extra-firm block of tofu, but you can use firm or medium if desired. (I have not tested this with soft silken tofu yet, so I'm not sure how the crumbles would turn out.)
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion, white onion, or red onion if desired.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or use dried garlic powder instead.
- Roma tomatoes: Or substitute cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a bolder, sweeter flavor. Plum tomato or other ripe garden tomato would work great too.
- Fresh baby spinach: Substitute fresh kale if desired.
- Ground cumin: Be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- Smoked paprika
- Ground turmeric: This gives it a slight yellow color.
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a nice cheesy savory flavor.
Spices: I enjoy the taste of cumin and smoked paprika so that's what I use. But change it up however you see fit. A splash of tamari or soy sauce is delicious as well.
Veggies: Add other vegetables such as red peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, or even top with sliced avocado before serving.
Make it spicy: Top your bowl with your favorite hot sauce, black pepper, or spicy salsa before serving. You can also sauté jalapeno or medium diced green chiles in the skillet.
Make it cheesy: The nutritional yeast adds some savory, cheesy flavor. But feel free to sprinkle non-dairy cheese shreds on top, or add your favorite vegan cheese sauce.
Tip: Stir in some kala namak (black salt) for eggy flavor as well!
Burrito-style: Wrap it up in whole grain tortillas for a breakfast burrito or breakfast taco! Salsa, black beans, and hash browns or roasted breakfast potatoes are a great addition as well.
Sandwich: Scoop it on lightly toasted bread (or bagel) for a satisfying breakfast sandwich.
Dinner option: We love this as a "breakfast-for-dinner" meal! Try serving it with these Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes.
Tip: This tofu scramble is also great served with fresh avocado and hot sauce!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Tofu Scramble with Spinach and Tomato
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric (more as desired)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup baby spinach (or more)
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth to sauté for no-oil method.)
- Meanwhile, remove some of the excess liquid from tofu. Then crumble tofu and chop tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Some may stick on the bottom but that’s normal.)
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well.
- Add spinach, stir, and cook another 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Salt to taste if needed.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this tofu scramble with spinach and tomato, also check out:
- Vegan Gluten-Free Waffles
- Tofu Fajitas (Sheet Pan)
- Creamy Banana Matcha Smoothie
- Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas