Our favorite vegan breakfast! Serve this easy, satisfying Tofu Scramble with homestyle potatoes, on bagels, toast, burritos, etc.
This tofu scramble is my go-to breakfast on the weekends because it's so tasty and hearty. It's a fantastic plant-based replacement for traditional omelets and scrambled eggs.
It leaves me feeling pleasantly satisfied for hours because of how protein-packed and flavorful it is.
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble
For this recipe you will need:
- Extra-firm tofu (or other firmness of choice)
- Small onion
- Roma tomatoes
- Fresh baby spinach
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Ground turmeric
- Nutritional yeast (for cheesy flavor)
Change up the spices as desired. I'm a huge fan of cumin and smoked paprika so that's what I use. (In addition to the turmeric and "cheesy" nutritional yeast which gives it the yellow color.)
Try it as burrito/taco filling, or on toast or bagels for a sandwich. It also a wonderful breakfast-for-dinner meal with Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes on the side.
Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric (more as desired)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup baby spinach (or more)
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth to sauté for no-oil method.)
- Meanwhile, remove some of the excess liquid from tofu. Then crumble tofu and chop tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Some may stick on the bottom but that’s normal.)
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well.
- Add spinach, stir, and cook another 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Salt to taste if needed.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this tofu scramble, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)