A delicious sheet pan of vegetables and chickpeas roasted to perfection! This recipe is easy, satisfying, customizable, and so delicious. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This dish is a big, cozy pan of your favorite vegetables roasted to tender perfection.
Then we take it to the next level by inviting chickpeas to the party.
It's such an easy (one pan!) comfort food meal.
Plus it is quick and simple to assemble, then we let the oven do the work.
For this recipe you will toss together on a sheet pan or baking sheet, then bake in the oven:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): These add hearty texture and plant-based protein and fiber to the dish.
- Potatoes: I like the rich, buttery taste of Yukon gold potatoes best with this recipe, but feel free to use your own favorite. Russet potatoes, red potatoes, waxy potatoes, fingerling, or new potatoes will work.
- Cauliflower: This develops a golden, caramelized flavor when roasted and I really enjoy it in this dish.
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Red onion: Or substitute sweet onion or yellow onion if preferred.
- Mushrooms: Most of the time I use cremini mushrooms, but white button mushrooms, or even sliced Portobello mushrooms would work too. However simply omit these if you do not care for mushrooms.
- Garlic cloves: This adds great flavor, but you can also substitute with dried garlic powder if desired.
- Dried basil: Or other herb of choice. This is a fun recipe to play around with based on your own favorite flavors.
- Olive oil: Use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil or your own favorite vegetable oil. (See below for an oil-free option.)
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. Use as much or as little as you would like. You can also include black pepper if desired.
This recipe is very customizable. Use your own favorites or whatever is in season. A few ideas include:
Vegetables: Change it up with sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, yellow summer squash, tomatoes, beets, bell peppers, butternut squash, or other winter squash.
Herbs + spices: Instead of dried basil, change up the flavor with ground cumin, smoked paprika, Italian seasonings, rosemary, thyme, dried oregano, curry powder, or coriander. Or you can toss it with fresh herbs after roasting like parsley, cilantro, basil, dill, or fresh chives.
Oil-free: For an oil-free version, simply omit the olive oil and line your pan with parchment paper (or Silpat) for easy non-stick baking.
The recipe makes about 8 side dish servings. (But I think it is the star of the show so we usually enjoy it as a main dish.)
Grain bowls: You can also turn this recipe into grain bowls. Simply place cooked quinoa, rice, cauliflower rice, or your own favorite grain in a bowl. Then top with the roast veggies mixture and dairy-free crumbled feta cheese if desired. You could even drizzle a tablespoon or two of creamy sauce on top like a simple lemon tahini sauce.
Note: This recipe makes a large batch, so be sure to decrease or cut in half if desired.
Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 lb. - I use yukon gold)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 small head broccoli
- 1 small red onion
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms (about 4-6 oz.)
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tsp. dried basil (or other herb of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional*)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Prepare the vegetables: Mince garlic, dice carrots and potatoes, chop broccoli and cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, halve/quarter the mushrooms, and slice the onion.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- On a large baking sheet (use two if you’d like to space them out), place all the vegetables and chickpeas. Drizzle them with olive oil* and toss to coat. Add salt and basil, and toss again.
- Place in the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this easy Roasted Chickpeas with Vegetables recipe, also check out:
- Vegan Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Roasted Vegetable Orzo with Garlic and Balsamic
- Roasted Vegetable Balsamic Pasta
- Oven Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes