Simple and delicious vegan gluten-free waffles that are crispy on the outside and soft & fluffy on the inside. Our family's favorite waffle recipe! (Oil-free with a nut-free option as well.)
These family-favorite vegan & gluten-free waffles are egg-free, dairy-free, and oil-free. But they're fluffy, so satisfying, and delicious! It's a great way to start the morning (or treat yourself to breakfast for dinner).
They're lightly accented with cinnamon and vanilla and perfect topped with maple syrup, fresh fruit, or whatever toppings you love.
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Waffles
For this recipe you will need:
- Plant milk: Use your favorite. We like homemade cashew milk.
- Ground flaxseed: This helps bind the ingredients together.
- Pure maple syrup: optional, but we enjoy the added sweetness.
- Vanilla extract: or also a touch of almond extract if desired.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour: Bob's Red Mill makes a great one.
- Almond flour: I use Bob's Red Mill super-fine almond flour. See notes below for nut-free options.
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon: I use Ceylon cinnamon
How to Customize
See the notes below the recipe for altering the flours and flavors to your liking. We've tried many different variations and combinations over the past few months, and this is simply our personal favorite.
We also use a large 7-inch round Belgian waffle maker (non-stick), so you may find the recipe yields more waffles if using a smaller waffle iron. The batter also works very well as a pancake mix!
Vegan Gluten-Free Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups plant milk
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup almond flour** (super-fine)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Turn on and preheat your waffle iron to desired setting. (We set ours medium to medium-high.)
- In a small bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Stir and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and place in the middle of waffle iron. (No need to overfill it - we find it cooks better when we don't push the batter all the way to the edge.)
- Close and let cook 5-7 minutes or until steam has completely stopped. Be sure not to open during cooking!
- When fully cooked, carefully remove waffle and continue process with the remaining batter.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying these vegan gluten free waffles, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is very appreciated. Thank you!)