Simple and delicious vegan gluten-free waffles that are crispy on the outside and soft & fluffy on the inside. Our family's favorite waffle recipe! (Oil-free with a nut-free option as well.)
These vegan and gluten-free waffles are egg-free, dairy-free, oil-free, and have no cholesterol. Plus each one has about 9 grams protein.
They are fluffy, so satisfying, and delicious!
It is a great way to start the morning (or treat yourself to breakfast for dinner).
They are lightly accented with cinnamon and vanilla and perfect topped with maple syrup, fresh fruit, or whatever toppings you love.
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Waffles
For the wet ingredients you will need:
- Plant milk: Use your favorite dairy-free milk. We like homemade cashew milk, but oat milk, unsweetened almond milk, or soy milk will all work great.
- Ground flaxseed: You will use 2 tablespoons which helps bind the ingredients together.
- Pure maple syrup: Optional, but we enjoy the added sweetness.
- Vanilla extract: Or also a touch of almond extract if desired.
For the dry ingredients you will need:
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour: Bob's Red Mill makes a great gluten-free flour blend.
- Almond flour: I use Bob's Red Mill super-fine almond flour. See notes below for nut-free options with oat flour.
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon: I use 1/4 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon, but add more as desired.
- Salt: I use fine-grain salt for this recipe.
Want a cozy, autumn twist? Check out these delicious Vegan Pumpkin Waffles as well!
We have tried many different variations and combinations over the past few months, and this is simply our personal favorite texture. However here are some options for customizing:
- Gluten-free flour options: I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour. You can use 1 cup oat flour + 1 cup almond flour, but we found them to be slightly crumbly this way.
- Nut-free version: Omit both the almond flour and all-purpose flour, and use 2 cups oat flour for your base. We find this results in denser (but still very tasty!) waffles.
The batter also works very well as a pancake mix.
You will simply whisk together the batter in a large bowl, then pour each serving on your pre-warmed waffle maker.
We use a large 7-inch round Belgian waffle maker (non-stick), so you may find the recipe yields more waffles if using a smaller waffle iron.
Feel free to use cooking spray, vegetable oil, or vegan melted butter if needed to prevent sticking on your own waffle maker.
Serve with maple syrup, fresh berries, or fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, sliced banana, etc.
Freezing: I have not tested these as a freezer meal, but I suspect they would do well. I'd suggest allowing them to cool completely, then place in a freezer-friendly airtight bag or container with lid. Then toast from frozen in a toaster or toaster oven when ready to enjoy.
Vegan Gluten-Free Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups plant milk
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup almond flour** (super-fine)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Turn on and preheat your waffle iron to desired setting. (We set ours medium to medium-high.)
- In a small bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Whisk and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and whisk until just combined.
- Using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and place in the middle of waffle iron. (No need to overfill it - we find it cooks better when we don't push the batter all the way to the edge.)
- Close and let cook 5-7 minutes or until steam has completely stopped. Be sure not to open during cooking!
- When fully cooked, carefully remove waffle and continue process with the remaining batter.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan gluten free waffles recipe, also check out:
- Strawberry Waffles
- Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato
- Oven Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- Creamy Banana Matcha Smoothie