This vegan Tofu Fajitas recipe is made easy on a sheet pan! Tofu strips are drenched in a taco-seasoned lime sauce, then paired with crisp bell peppers and onions. Personalize them with your own favorite toppings! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These oven-baked Tofu Fajitas are a satisfying weeknight meal that's easy to assemble.
Plus everyone can customize theirs with the toppings they love!
We use tofu as the protein and combine it with classic fajita veggies like bell pepper and onion.
Then for savory flavor, we drench the tofu slices in a taco-seasoned lime sauce. (Yes!)
Ingredients for Tofu Fajitas
For this recipe you will need:
- Extra-firm tofu: We'll press the tofu to remove excess moisture before slicing. So if you have a tofu press, feel free to do this ahead of time. Otherwise, not a problem! Simply press between paper towels to remove some of the moisture. (I use organic tofu whenever possible.)
- Bell peppers: You can use any color you prefer. You'll need two large, or three small/medium peppers. Usually I pair one green bell pepper with either red, yellow, or orange.
- Red onion: Or you can use white onion, sweet onion, or yellow onion instead.
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade taco seasoning mix which is a tasty blend of warm, zesty flavors. It includes spices like chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder. It's one of my favorite seasoning blends! I like making a big batch and storing it in the pantry for convenience.
- Lime juice: You'll need two tablespoons (which is about one lime) for this recipe.
- Tamari: Or you can use soy sauce instead, but I use tamari for a gluten-free option. Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Small tortillas: Either flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or almond flour tortillas are great. Be aware corn tortillas will have a stronger flavor however. (Also ensure the ingredients are gluten-free if needed.) Lately I've been enjoying the "Siete" brand almond flour tortillas - they're so tasty and "buttery".
Make it spicy: To the marinade mix, add a dash of cayenne pepper or chipotle powder, chipotle in adobo sauce, or spicy chili powder. Or simply top your fajitas with hot sauce to taste before serving.
Other vegetables: To the roasting pan, change it up with zucchini, yellow summer squash, cherry tomatoes, garlic, etc.
Fajita bowls: Turn this into a bowl instead! Use cooked rice (or Spanish rice) for the base. Then add baked tofu, peppers + onions, and toppings of choice. Black beans or pinto beans can be added for extra plant-based protein and fiber. This is a great, portable option for meal prep!
Tofu shape: I slice mine in strips for this recipe, but create any shape you prefer. Cubes or roughly torn pieces could work as well if you don't want to bother with the strips.
This is a great family-style meal because everyone can personalize theirs with their own favorite toppings! A few ideas include:
- Guacamole or avocado
- Cashew Queso
- Pico de Gallo or Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Vegan shredded cheese or dairy-free cheese sauce
- Vegan sour cream
- Fresh cilantro or romaine lettuce
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy, then assemble on your tortilla.
Want more quick + healthy meals? Browse these 75+ Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes!
Tofu Fajitas (Easy Sheet Pan!)
- 14 oz. block extra-firm tofu (pressed*)
- 2 large bell peppers (or 3 medium)
- 1 red onion (or yellow or white)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (divided)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 8 small tortillas (flour, corn, or almond flour)
- Toppings of choice: Guacamole/avocado, pico de gallo, salsa, cilantro, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Prepare oven: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a large baking pan with parchment paper (or Silpat).
- Make tofu sauce: In a medium bowl, add 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (reserving 1 Tbsp.), lime juice, and tamari. Stir well to combine. If the sauce is overly thick, add a small splash of water.
- Prepare tofu: Slice pressed tofu in strips. (I make about 14-16 strips.) Gently lay each piece in the sauce and flip to coat. Arrange tofu in a single layer on one half of the baking pan.
- Prepare veggies: Slice onion and bell pepper in strips. Place in the leftover tofu bowl. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning. Toss well to coat. Arrange veggies on the other half of baking pan.
- Bake: Place pan in oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip tofu and toss veggies. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more. (While it's baking, prepare any toppings of choice.)
- Assemble: Warm tortillas if desired. Place tofu, veggies, and toppings of choice down center of tortillas.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan tofu fajitas recipe, also check out: