This Mexican-inspired Salsa Fresca recipe (Pico de Gallo) is so fresh and tasty! It is quick and easy to prepare, plus filled with ripe tomatoes and garden freshness.
Pico de gallo is a type of salsa commonly used in Mexican cuisine. It is typically made with chopped tomato, onion, serrano pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
However this is my own version of a salsa fresca recipe. It's a refreshing appetizer served with tortilla chips. We also enjoy it on our favorite Mexican-inspired cuisine. It's a flavorful addition to dishes like tacos, burritos, nachos, tostadas, etc.
Ingredients for Salsa Fresca
For this recipe you will need:
- Ripe tomatoes
- Yellow onion
- Jalapeño (or serrano pepper)
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
Adjust ingredients to suit your taste because this recipe is quite forgiving.
How to Serve
This salsa is so versatile in a variety of ways:
- On Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles (pictured below)
- On Tofu Scramble and breakfast burritos
- As an appetizer or side dish with tortilla chips
- On nachos, fajitas, tostadas, or tacos
For more inspiration, also browse all sauce + seasoning recipes.
Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo)
- 4-5 ripe medium-sized tomatoes (about 2-3 cups chopped)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers*
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (large stems removed)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Finely chop tomatoes and onion.
- Mince garlic and chop cilantro, large stems removed.
- Scoop out & remove seeds and ribs from jalapeño (using caution) and finely chop.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss. Add salt and adjust flavors if desired. (More lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, etc.)
- Can serve immediately, but tastes best after it chills in the fridge for a few hours to let flavors combine.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this salsa fresca recipe, also browse all 15 minute recipes or check out: