This homemade Salsa Fresca recipe (Pico de Gallo) is so fresh and tasty! It is quick and easy to prepare, plus great on a variety of Mexican-inspired dishes.
Pico de gallo is a fresh tomato salsa commonly used in Mexican cuisine.
It is typically made with chopped tomato, onion, serrano pepper (or jalapeño), fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
However this is my own version of a pico de gallo recipe.
It works as a refreshing condiment, appetizer, or dip served with tortilla chips. We also enjoy it on a variety our favorite Mexican-inspired cuisine.
Ingredients for Salsa Fresca
For this recipe you will need:
- Ripe tomatoes: Most often I use roma tomatoes or garden heirloom tomatoes. But cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes could work too for even brighter flavor.
- Yellow onion: Or substitute white onion or red onion.
- Garlic cloves
- Jalapeno: Or serrano pepper. You may also substitute a poblano pepper for the jalapeno to keep it mild.
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Salt: Adding a pinch of fine-grain salt to this recipe helps bring out the flavors.
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare. You will simply chop the ingredients, place them all in a medium bowl, then gently stir/toss to combine.
Feel free to adjust ingredients to suit your taste because this recipe is quite forgiving.
You may enjoy it right away, however it tastes bests after it rests for 15-20 minutes, or chills in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight.
For storing, simply place it in an airtight container in your refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
This salsa is so versatile, and works with a variety of dishes. Try it:
- On Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles (pictured below)
- On Tofu Scramble and breakfast burritos
- As an appetizer or side dish with tortilla chips
- On Vegan Burrito Bowls
- Or on nachos, fajitas, tostadas, quesadillas, or tacos, etc.
For more inspiration, also browse all sauce and seasoning recipes.
Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo)
- 4-5 ripe medium-sized tomatoes (about 2-3 cups chopped)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers*
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (large stems removed)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Finely chop tomatoes and onion.
- Mince garlic and chop cilantro, large stems removed.
- Scoop out & remove seeds and ribs from jalapeño (using caution) and finely chop.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss. Add salt and adjust flavors if desired. (More lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, etc.)
- Can serve immediately, but tastes best after it chills in the fridge for a few hours to let flavors combine.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this salsa fresca (pico de gallo) recipe, also check out: