A warm Vegan Bean Dip recipe made with a hearty combination of both refried beans and black beans! Quick and easy to prepare, and perfect for gatherings, game time, or snacking. (Gluten-free.)
This tasty vegan bean dip is made with a satisfying combination of refried beans and black beans. Then it is topped with fresh, crisp vegetables.
Plus it is quick and easy to prepare, and easily customizable.
Bean dips are usually very crowd-pleasing, so it is great for parties, gatherings, and snacking.
Ingredients for Vegan Bean Dip
For this recipe you will combine then bake in the oven:
- Vegan refried beans: Be sure to find vegan-style because most traditional refried beans are made with lard. Most often I either use the Cadia brand or Amy's brand.
- Black beans: These are so tasty in this dip, and a great source of plant-based protein and fiber.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or you can substitute with a teaspoon of dried garlic powder if desired.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Vegan shredded cheese: Lately I've been using Follow Your Heart mozzarella and cheddar (finely shredded). But simply use your own favorite dairy-free cheese blend or what's available.
- Tortilla chips for dipping
Spices + seasoning: Change up the flavors with your own favorite spices. Chili powder, Taco Seasoning, dried oregano, etc. (Or you could include diced bell pepper when you sauté the onion.)
Make it meaty: Add your favorite vegan ground beef crumbles to the mixture. I suggest cooking these separately according to package instructions, then stirring them into the warm bean mixture. (You can include these in place of the black beans, or in addition to them.)
Make it spicy: Stir in a tiny amount of ground chipotle powder while cooking the beans on the stovetop, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or simply top with hot sauce to taste before serving.
This recipe comes together pretty quick but you could also prepare it in advance (through all steps except heating in the oven).
Then just cover, refrigerate, and pop in the oven when you are ready.
After it heats in the oven, top this bean dip bowl with your favorite flavors and garnishes. A few ideas include:
- Diced grape tomatoes
- Salsa (such as this Restaurant Style Blender Salsa or fresh Pico de Gallo)
- Avocado or guacamole
- Green onions
- Fresh cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno
- Vegan sour cream
- Black olives
- Cooked sweet corn (or fire-roasted corn)
- Finely chopped romaine lettuce
It's great as an appetizer, side dish, or snack!
Vegan Bean Dip
- 15 oz. can refried beans (vegan/vegetarian-style)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2/3 cup vegan shredded cheese (more or less)
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Optional toppings: tomatoes, salsa, green onion, avocado, guacamole, olives, vegan sour cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Dice onion. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 8 minutes or until softened. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika to skillet. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add refried beans and black beans (rinsed and drained). Stir with spatula to combine. Heat for about 3 minutes until refried beans soften. Salt to taste if desired.
- Transfer bean mixture to an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish. Spread into an even layer. Then sprinkle cheese evenly on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. (I like to turn on the broiler for the last minute or two of cooking to help melt the cheese. Watch closely so it doesn't burn.)
- Remove from oven. Add toppings of choice and serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Mexican-style vegan refried bean dip recipe, also check out: