This easy and satisfying vegan Black Bean Fajitas recipe is made with sweet corn and optional mushrooms. It's a quick and healthy weeknight meal. Plus everyone can personalize theirs with their own favorite toppings!
These satisfying black bean fajitas with mushrooms and sweet corn are a great weeknight meal. (If you're not a fan of mushrooms, simply omit and replace with other vegetables such as zucchini or yellow summer squash.)
They come together quick and easy, and are so flavorful.
Plus everyone can also customize theirs with their own favorite toppings!
Ingredients for Black Bean Fajitas
For this recipe you will need a large skillet and these ingredients:
- Bell peppers: Pick any color or a variety of colors. Green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow, or orange.
- Yellow onion: Or you can substitute red onion or sweet onion if desired.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini mushrooms, but white button or portobello mushrooms work great too.
- Sweet corn: Either use canned, frozen, or steamed fresh corn kernels.
- Black beans: These are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. Or you could use pinto beans if desired.
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade Taco Seasoning mixture which contains warm, flavorful spices like ground cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, etc.
- Tortillas of choice: Use flour tortillas or whole grain tortillas when possible. Be sure to use gluten-free tortillas (or corn tortillas) if you need gluten-free.
Tip: Fresh lime juice is also a great addition to the mixture!
Make it spicy: Stir in cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste.
Make it "meaty": You can also add your favorite vegan beef or chicken strips to the pan. (I'd suggest cooking these separately according to package instructions, then combine it all together.)
Make a rice bowl instead: Instead of tortillas, spoon the black bean filling mixture over warm cooked brown rice (or quinoa). Then garnish your bowl with desired toppings.
Finish it off with any toppings such as:
- Guacamole or avocado
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Fresh cilantro
Tip: This meal comes together even faster by making the taco seasoning and prepping the onions and peppers in advance.
Corn and Black Bean Fajitas
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sweet corn (I use frozen, no need to thaw)
- 30 oz. canned black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- Tortillas of choice (corn, flour, whole wheat)
Toppings of choice:
- Guacamole, dairy-free cheese, salsa, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, etc.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- In an extra-large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add bell peppers, mushrooms, and taco seasoning to pan. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Add corn and black beans (rinsed and drained). Stir to combine, and heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve on tortillas with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan black bean fajitas, also feel free to check out: