This easy and satisfying vegan Black Bean Fajitas recipe is made with sweet corn and optional mushrooms. It's a quick and healthy weeknight meal. Plus everyone can personalize theirs with their own favorite toppings!
These satisfying black bean fajitas with mushrooms and sweet corn are a great weeknight meal. (If you're not a fan of mushrooms, simply omit and replace with other vegetables such as zucchini or yellow summer squash.)
They come together quick and easy, and are so flavorful.
Plus everyone can also customize theirs with their own favorite toppings!
Ingredients for Black Bean Fajitas
For this recipe you will need a large skillet and these ingredients:
- Bell peppers: Pick any color or a variety of colors. Green bell pepper, red bell pepper, yellow, or orange.
- Yellow onion: Or you can substitute red onion or sweet onion if desired.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini mushrooms, but white button or portobello mushrooms work great too.
- Sweet corn: Either use canned, frozen, or steamed fresh corn kernels.
- Black beans: These are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. Or you could use pinto beans if desired.
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade Taco Seasoning mixture which contains warm, flavorful spices like ground cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, etc.
- Tortillas of choice: Use flour tortillas or whole grain tortillas when possible. Be sure to use gluten-free tortillas (or corn tortillas) if you need gluten-free.
Tip: Fresh lime juice is also a great addition to the mixture!
Make it spicy: Stir in cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste.
Make it "meaty": You can also add your favorite vegan beef or chicken strips to the pan. (I'd suggest cooking these separately according to package instructions, then combine it all together.)
Make a rice bowl instead: Instead of tortillas, spoon the black bean filling mixture over warm cooked brown rice (or quinoa). Then garnish your bowl with desired toppings.
Finish it off with any toppings such as:
- Guacamole or avocado
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Fresh cilantro
Tip: This meal comes together even faster by making the taco seasoning and prepping the onions and peppers in advance.
For more inspiration, also browse all bean recipes or corn recipes.
Corn and Black Bean Fajitas
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sweet corn (I use frozen, no need to thaw)
- 30 oz. canned black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- Tortillas of choice (corn, flour, whole wheat)
Toppings of choice:
- Guacamole, dairy-free cheese, salsa, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, etc.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- In an extra-large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 5 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add bell peppers, mushrooms, and taco seasoning to pan. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Add corn and black beans (rinsed and drained). Stir to combine, and heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve on tortillas with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying these vegan black bean fajitas, also feel free to check out:
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
This is a delicious recipe! It hit the spot! And I used the taco seasoning recipe that was given.
So great to hear you enjoyed it, Pam! Thanks so much for sharing your very kind feedback.
We loved this recipe. We didn't add peppers and onions. It was SO much better without the peppers and onions. That allowed the taco flavoring to just pop. Instead of black beans, I used green beans and cooked the liquid down to a roue. Will cook again.
Awesome! Love how you made this your own. Thanks for sharing the helpful feedback!
I'd like to thank you so much for the vegan recipe for black bean fajita. My husband is a vegan and I often look for recipes something different that I can make for him. So I thank you, they are very tasty and he loved them.
Wonderful to hear, Carolynn! So glad he enjoyed. Thanks for giving the recipe a try and sharing your very kind feedback. All the best to you both! -Kaitlin
Amazing!! We added guacamole before serving.
Great to hear! Thanks for sharing.
My husband and I loved them! I added some lime juice, fresh garlic, and chili powder for a little spice.
Thanks for sharing!
Preparing and freezing food as having surgery soon. Today made your potato, corn chowder and corn and black bean fajitas. Sampled both and tasty deluxe. Have made many of your recipes and all have been delicious. Thank you for your blog.
That's wonderful to hear, Judeen. Thanks so much for your kind words about the recipes - thrilled you're enjoying! Most importantly, I hope all goes well and smooth with your upcoming surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take good care & sending love. -Kaitlin
I love this recipe. You can hardly tell there is no meat in it. Thanks for the recipe. This is a keeper and going in my recipe box.
Great to hear that, thanks for the kind feedback!
These were delicious!!
So great to hear!
I just made this with the first tortillas I've ever made. We all loved it so much! Thanks for putting this site together. It's vegan Mexican recipe heaven!
Kaitlin | The Garden Grazer
Homemade tortillas sound perfect! Thanks for giving them a try and sharing!