An easy and satisfying Vegan Black Bean + Quinoa Burrito recipe! Tasty fajita-style veggies are combined with taco-seasoned quinoa, black beans, and your favorite toppings. Great for meal prep, plus they are freezer-friendly. (Gluten-free option.)
These tasty vegan quinoa burritos are a versatile and satisfying weeknight meal.
They are filled with protein-rich black beans and quinoa, plus flavorful fajita-style bell peppers and onion.
The recipe makes a large amount (enough for 8 large burritos) so it is a great choice for batch cooking, meal prep, or freezer meals.
Enjoy some now, then save some for later!
Ingredients for Quinoa Burrito
For this recipe you will need:
- White quinoa: For more flavor, you can cook the quinoa in vegetable broth.
- Taco seasoning: I use one full batch of my quick + easy homemade Taco Seasoning for this recipe. It includes warm, flavorful spices like ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, etc.
- Black beans: Or you can substitute pinto beans, red kidney beans, etc.
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Yellow onion
- Bell peppers: I like to use one red bell pepper and one green bell pepper.
- Salsa: My favorite is this Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa.
- Tortillas: I try to find whole grain tortillas when possible. (Be sure to use gluten-free tortillas if needed.)
- Toppings of choice: I like additional salsa and guacamole. A small squeeze of fresh lime juice is also tasty. Or try vegan sour cream, avocado, romaine lettuce, etc.
Make it crispy: After preparing and rolling up, finish by heating it on a grill pan or large skillet for a few minutes before serving. (We love this!)
Burrito bowl: You can also omit the tortillas, and turn these into quinoa burrito bowls with your favorite toppings.
Vegetables: It is a versatile recipe so change it up with other veggies or herbs. Try adding mushrooms, sweet corn, zucchini, garlic, cilantro, etc.
Brown rice: Feel free to swap out the quinoa for brown rice instead. You can also reduce the quinoa to 1/2 cup (instead of 1 cup) to make room for more beans or veggies.
Make it spicy: Stir in some chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, chili powder, or jalapeno to taste. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Make it cheesy: Add your favorite vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce to the mixture.
To freeze: Tightly wrap burritos individually in tin foil, then place in a sealed freezer-friendly container or Ziploc freezer bag.
They should keep in the freezer for about 1-2 months. (Freezing with avocado, guacamole, or vegan sour cream is not recommended.)
Reheat in oven: Place burritos in a preheated oven at 350°F (176°C) either wrapped in foil or in a covered oven-safe dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
Reheat in microwave: Be sure to always remove foil before microwaving. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes or until warm.
Black Bean & Quinoa Fajita Burrito
For the black bean & quinoa mixture:
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I like fire-roasted with green chiles)
For the fajita vegetables:
- 1 yellow onion (or any color)
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic, optional
- Make taco seasoning (if using homemade). This recipe uses 1 full batch.
- Cook the quinoa: In a small saucepan, add 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained), 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning, and 1 1/2 cups water or (vegetable broth). Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper with 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When quinoa is done cooking, add to a large bowl. Then add black beans (rinsed and drained) and diced tomatoes (drained of excess juice). Stir well to combine.
- Assemble the burritos: Spoon the quinoa mixture, onion/pepper, and salsa (and other toppings of choice) down the middle of your tortillas. Roll up, tucking in both sides.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan quinoa black bean burrito recipe, also browse all taco and burrito recipes, or check out: