An easy and satisfying Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burrito recipe! Tasty fajita-style veggies are combined with taco-seasoned quinoa, black beans, and your favorite toppings. It's great for meal prep, plus they are freezer-friendly. (Vegan, gluten-free option.)
These tasty vegan quinoa burritos are a versatile and satisfying weeknight meal.
They're filled with protein-rich black beans and quinoa. Then topped with flavorful fajita-style bell peppers and onion.
The recipe makes a large amount (enough for 8 large burritos) so it's a great choice for batch cooking, meal prep, or freezer meals.
Enjoy some now, then save some for later!
Ingredients for Quinoa Burrito
For this recipe you will need:
- White quinoa: For more flavor, you can cook the quinoa in vegetable broth if desired.
- Taco seasoning: I use one full batch of my quick + easy homemade Taco Seasoning for this recipe. It includes warm, flavorful spices like ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, etc.
- Black beans: Or you can substitute pinto beans, red kidney beans, etc.
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion if desired.
- Bell peppers: I like to use one red bell pepper and one green bell pepper.
- Salsa: My favorite is this Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa.
- Tortillas: I try to find organic whole grain tortillas when possible. (Be sure to use gluten-free tortillas if needed.)
- Toppings of choice: I like additional salsa and guacamole. A small squeeze of fresh lime juice is also tasty. Or try vegan sour cream, avocado, romaine lettuce, etc.
Make it crispy: After preparing and rolling up, finish by heating it on a grill pan or large skillet for a few minutes before serving. (We love this!)
Burrito bowl: You can also omit the tortillas, and turn these into quinoa burrito bowls with your favorite toppings.
Vegetables: It is a versatile recipe so change it up with other veggies or herbs. Try adding mushrooms, sweet corn, zucchini, garlic, cilantro, etc.
Brown rice: Feel free to swap out the quinoa for brown rice instead. You can also reduce the quinoa to 1/2 cup (instead of 1 cup) to make room for more beans or veggies.
Make it spicy: Stir in some chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, chili powder, or jalapeno to taste. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Make it cheesy: Add your favorite vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce to the mixture.
To freeze: Tightly wrap burritos individually in tin foil, then place in a sealed freezer-friendly container or Ziploc freezer bag.
They should keep in the freezer for about 1-2 months. (Freezing with avocado, guacamole, or vegan sour cream is not recommended.)
Reheat in oven: Place burritos in a preheated oven at 350°F (176°C) either wrapped in foil or in a covered oven-safe dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
Reheat in microwave: Be sure to always remove foil before microwaving. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes or until warm.
Black Bean & Quinoa Fajita Burrito
For the black bean & quinoa mixture:
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I like fire-roasted with green chiles)
For the fajita vegetables:
- 1 yellow onion (or any color)
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic, optional
- Make taco seasoning (if using homemade). This recipe uses 1 full batch.
- Cook the quinoa: In a small saucepan, add 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained), 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning, and 1 1/2 cups water or (vegetable broth). Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper with 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When quinoa is done cooking, add to a large bowl. Then add black beans (rinsed and drained) and diced tomatoes (drained of excess juice). Stir well to combine.
- Assemble the burritos: Spoon the quinoa mixture, onion/pepper, and salsa (and other toppings of choice) down the middle of your tortillas. Roll up, tucking in both sides.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan quinoa black bean burrito recipe, also check out: