An easy Mexican-inspired vegan burrito bowl with black beans, fresh veggies, and a creamy chipotle sauce! So fresh, satisfying, and easy to customize with your own favorite additions.
This easy vegan black bean burrito bowl is so satisfying, and a great lunch or dinner.
It combines flavorful rice, hearty beans, fresh veggies, and a creamy, zesty chipotle sauce.
Plus it is a great family meal because everyone can build their own bowl as they please.
Ingredients for Burrito Bowl
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: Or quinoa or other rice of choice.
- Salsa: This is used to make flavorful "salsa rice" by mixing the cooked rice + salsa together.
- Black beans: Or your own favorite bean.
- Roma tomatoes
- Sweet corn: Either fresh cooked, canned, or thawed frozen corn.
- Romaine lettuce
- Vegan yogurt: Be sure it is plain and also unsweetened.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce + adobo sauce from can
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground cumin
Some ideas for customization include:
- Use Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice or quinoa instead of the "salsa rice".
- Change up the black beans with a different plant protein: pinto beans, Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles, spiced tofu ("Sofritas"), seasoned tempeh crumbles, etc.
- Include your own favorite veggies: lettuce, onion, bell pepper, avocado, fresh cilantro, sweet corn, etc.
How to Serve
Top it with your favorite sauce (or a couple favorites):
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Fresh Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
Vegan Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (cooked fresh, canned, or frozen & thawed)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro
For the Creamy Chipotle Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- While rice is cooking, make the creamy chipotle sauce: scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.) Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Chop the romaine and dice the tomatoes.
- When rice is fully cooked, add the salsa to it and stir to combine to make "salsa rice". (You can also add fresh lime juice and cilantro if desired.)
- Begin layering your bowl: start with a bed of salsa rice, then black beans (rinsed and drained), and chopped vegetables.
- Then drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce (or other sauce of choice) on top.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan burrito bowl with sauce, also check out: