An easy Mexican-inspired vegan burrito bowl with black beans, fresh veggies, and a creamy chipotle sauce! So fresh, satisfying, and easy to customize with your own favorite flavors and additions. (Gluten-free)
This easy vegan black bean burrito bowl is so satisfying. It's great for lunch, dinner, leftovers, or even meal prep.
It combines flavorful rice, hearty beans, fresh veggies, and a creamy, zesty chipotle sauce.
Plus it is a great family meal because everyone can build their own bowl as they please.
Ingredients for Vegan Burrito Bowl
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: Or quinoa or other rice or grain of choice.
- Salsa: This is used to make flavorful "salsa rice" by mixing together the cooked rice + salsa. We will use this as the base of our burrito bowl.
- Black beans: Or your own favorite bean such as pinto beans or kidney beans.
- Roma tomatoes: Or substitute cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a richer, sweeter flavor.
- Sweet corn: Either a fresh cooked ear or corn, canned, fire-roasted, or thawed frozen corn.
- Romaine lettuce: Or other salad greens of choice.
- Vegan yogurt: Be sure it is plain and unsweetened. You could also substitute silken tofu, or even vegan mayonnaise or sour cream for the yogurt.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce: This comes in a small can. We will use both the chipotle pepper and the adobo sauce.
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground cumin
Grains: Use quinoa, Cilantro Lime Rice, or cauliflower rice instead of the salsa rice. You could also replace the rice entirely with baked potatoes or sweet potatoes for the base.
Protein: Change up the black beans with a different plant protein such as pinto beans, red kidney beans, Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles, spiced tofu (Sofritas), seasoned tempeh crumbles, etc.
Vegetables: Include your own favorite veggies to taste such as lettuce, red onion, bell pepper, avocado, fresh cilantro, sweet corn, lime wedges, etc.
Top it with your favorite sauce (or a few sauces) before serving such as:
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Fresh Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheese sauce
For more inspiration, also browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Vegan Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (cooked fresh, canned, or frozen & thawed)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro
For the creamy chipotle sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Rinse and cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle sauce: Scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.) Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Chop the romaine and dice the tomatoes.
- When rice is cooked, add the salsa to it and stir to combine to make flavorful "salsa rice". (You can also add fresh lime juice and cilantro if desired.)
- Assemble your bowl: Place a large spoonful of salsa rice, then black beans (rinsed and drained), and chopped vegetables.
- Drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce (or other sauce) on top.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan burrito bowl recipe with sauce, also check out: