An easy Mexican-inspired vegan burrito bowl recipe with black beans, fresh veggies, and a creamy chipotle sauce! So fresh, satisfying, and easy to customize. (Vegan, gluten-free.)
This easy vegan black bean burrito bowl is so satisfying!
It's great for lunch, dinner, leftovers, or even meal prep if that's your thing.
We will combine flavorful "salsa rice", hearty beans, and fresh veggies. Then top it with a creamy, zesty chipotle sauce.
Plus it's a great family meal because everyone can build their own bowl as they please.
Ingredients for Vegan Burrito Bowl
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: Or you can use quinoa or other rice or grain of choice.
- Salsa: This is used to make flavorful "salsa rice" by mixing together the cooked rice + salsa. We will use this as the base of our burrito bowl.
- Black beans: Or your own favorite bean such as pinto beans or kidney beans.
- Roma tomatoes: Or you can substitute cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a richer, sweeter flavor.
- Sweet corn: Either a fresh cooked ear or corn, canned, fire-roasted, or thawed frozen corn.
- Romaine lettuce: I like crisp romaine best for this recipe, but you can use other salad greens of choice if desired.
- Vegan yogurt: Be sure it's plain and unsweetened. You could also substitute silken tofu, or even vegan mayonnaise or sour cream for the yogurt.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce: This comes in a small can. We will use both the chipotle pepper and the adobo sauce.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground cumin
Or try a cashew sauce! Instead of the yogurt-based sauce, try this delicious Chipotle Crema made with cashews.
Grains: Use quinoa, Cilantro Lime Rice, or cauliflower rice instead of the salsa rice. You could also replace the rice entirely with baked potatoes or sweet potatoes for the base.
Protein: Change up the black beans with a different plant protein such as pinto beans, red kidney beans, Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles, spiced tofu (Sofritas), seasoned tempeh crumbles, etc.
Vegetables: Include your own favorite veggies to taste such as red onion, bell pepper, avocado, fresh cilantro, lime wedges, etc.
Top it with your favorite sauce (or a few sauces) before serving such as:
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Fresh Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan cheese sauce
Want more inspiration? Try this Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing as well!
For more inspiration, also browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Vegan Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (cooked fresh, canned, or frozen & thawed)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Other additions: onion, green onion, bell pepper, avocado, cilantro
For the creamy chipotle sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Rinse and cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle sauce: Scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife (use caution when handling chipotle, and wash your hands when done.) Add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Chop the romaine and dice the tomatoes.
- When rice is cooked, add the salsa to it and stir to combine to make flavorful "salsa rice". (You can also add fresh lime juice and cilantro if desired.)
- Assemble your bowl: Place a large spoonful of salsa rice, then black beans (rinsed and drained), and chopped vegetables.
- Drizzle the creamy chipotle sauce (or other sauce) on top.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan burrito bowl recipe with sauce, also check out: